A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 04-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Cohort

1st Grade Teacher
Two Word poems-- help!

Happy Saturday!

I'm starting a new job on Monday as a first grade teacher. The old classroom teacher wrote out lesson plans, homework assignments, etc., for me for this week. For the most part, I feel prepared to take over, but their writing assignment for the week is to write two word poems. I feel like a moron asking this, but can anyone explain what students are to do? What are the guidelines? I've never done this before and the info I'm finding online seems all over the place.

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Congratulations on the job!

The only thing I can think of is what they call "Hink Pinks"

Here's a link to what they are:

http://http://www.education-world.com/a_lesson/TM/WS_sponges.shtml

I've never heard of 2-word poems. My thought would be if you are officially taking over the class, I don't think it would hurt anything to substitute another writing activity that you were more comfortable with addressing the same objective. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Connoisseur

Ohio
I'm not sure, either, but I think I would focus on using really descriptive language.

I once wrote a one word poem. I wish I could think what the form was called, but I learned about it in college when a poet came to our Writer's Forum and shared some. I'll have to see if I can dig it out from my old files.

It's not something I'd think to do with first graders, though!
Old 04-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Rookie

Australia
Primary Elementary Teacher
The only two word poem i can think of is Fleas by Odgen Nash.
Adam
Had'em
Old 04-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
I used to do a simple Haiku type lesson with PK. Is that what she means?

I would do something like:

Sun
Bright Yellow
Hot
I like the sun
Old 04-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Aficionado

North Carolina
4th Grade Teacher
lilmiss,
She must be talking about hinky pinky. For example, a humongous feline is a fat cat. A hilarious rabbit is a funny bunny.

Here is a web page where you can get some. http://www.beavton.k12.or.us/jacob_w...hinkypinky.htm
Old 04-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Cohort

1st Grade Teacher
Thanks so much, everyone!! I'm not sure if we're talking about hinky pinky or not. I emailed another teacher on my grade level, but haven't heard back from them.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisses1014 View Post
Happy Saturday!

I'm starting a new job on Monday as a first grade teacher. The old classroom teacher wrote out lesson plans, homework assignments, etc., for me for this week. For the most part, I feel prepared to take over, but their writing assignment for the week is to write two word poems. I feel like a moron asking this, but can anyone explain what students are to do? What are the guidelines? I've never done this before and the info I'm finding online seems all over the place.

Thanks in advance!!!
It is strange that I just saw this post. As I was doing lesson plans today, I was paging through a poetry lesson plan book that I have. One lesson in the book is called "Two word poem". The definition says "A two word poem has just two words on each line and can be about any topic." The lesson in the book I have is for students to write a two word poem about a special family member They are to get a real picture of the person to use when writing the poem and brainstorm adjectives about them (hair color, tall, short, young, old, personality traits, etc) as well as what the person's job is, what the student likes to do with them and so on. Here is an example of one of the "student samples" in the book.

Grandpa
Gum chewing
Hug giving
Tickle tickler
Surprises always.

Sorry this is so late since you start with the class tomorrow but hopefully it will be of some help.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Cohort

1st Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by yearroundteach View Post
It is strange that I just saw this post. As I was doing lesson plans today, I was paging through a poetry lesson plan book that I have. One lesson in the book is called "Two word poem". The definition says "A two word poem has just two words on each line and can be about any topic." The lesson in the book I have is for students to write a two word poem about a special family member They are to get a real picture of the person to use when writing the poem and brainstorm adjectives about them (hair color, tall, short, young, old, personality traits, etc) as well as what the person's job is, what the student likes to do with them and so on. Here is an example of one of the "student samples" in the book.

Grandpa
Gum chewing
Hug giving
Tickle tickler
Surprises always.

Sorry this is so late since you start with the class tomorrow but hopefully it will be of some help.
WOW!! Thank you SO MUCH!!! This makes a lot of sense and sounds like something my first graders will really enjoy!!! The hinky pinky poems are cute, but my class would not be able to do those. I'll do this tomorrow during their writing block!!

Thanks again!!

Tags
poems, word