A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Fifth Grade

Old 04-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Connoisseur

NE Illinois
Elementary Teacher
The Daily Five... What does that look like in Fifth Grade?

I have an interview tomorrow for a fifth grade position.

In looking over the district's website, a few fifth grade teachers mention The Daily Five. When I first read the book, I thought it came off as an approach for a younger age. What does The Daily Five look like in a fifth grade class?

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Comrade

New Mexico
3rd Grade Teacher
I think the Daily 5 at 5th grade would look very similar to the younger grades. The difference might be in how much time students remain in each choice. My students in third grade do 30 minutes. First graders at my school do less. Older students might be capable of sustaining on task behavior for 45 minutes at a time.

Other than that, the management system is basically the same. The content can be adjusted to grade level, but that's beyond the scope of the book.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Comrade

New Mexico
3rd Grade Teacher
My book is in my classroom right now, but if I remember correctly in the question and answer section at the back of the book, someone asks a very similar question...??
Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Comrade

Midwest
1st grade teacher
BUMP! =) I will most likely be in 4th or 5th if I get a job this year. I LOVE Daily 5 and recently read it. There is a question and answer at the end of the book for the older grades.

Without looking through it... I think they took out word study? Although I think you could keep it but do more vocabulary activities or spelling.

Also- listening to reading may be different? I guess it would depend on what is available or what you can get from your local library. Overall, I think it is still quite similar although the time length may increase. However, I don't know that you would want to go much past 30 minutes per section because that's 2 hours already. It'd be another hour+ if you added 15 minutes to that...

Tags
daily, grade