A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 04-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Connoisseur

Special Education Teacher
LLD Class

Can someone in NJ tell me what a Self-Contained LLD class is? What kinds of classifications, levels of functioning, ratio of students, etc.?

I know that it stands for Language and Learning Disabilities - but I'm looking for a little more info.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Rookie

In a mild/moderate LLD class, you can have up to 10 students with no aide (just teacher). You can have 11-16 students if you have a teacher and an aide.

In a severe LLD class, you can have 8 with no aide, and 9-12 students with an aide in the room.

I think the classifications of students entering an LLD class would be Other Health Impaired, Communication Impaired, Cognitively Impaired, or Specific Learning Disability. (I think.)

I have an MD class (Multiple Disabilities), where truly any classification fits (unfortunately in my case, because my autistic students really need an autistic class where the size is limited to 6 students and the ratio is limited to 3:1). In an MD class, you can have up to 8 students with no aide, and 9-12 with an aide. I have 12, with aides in the room.

Here's a link to NJ Administrative Code for Special Education, for future reference:
http://www.state.nj.us/education/cod...e6a/chap14.pdf
Old 04-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Connoisseur

Wow - 10 students with disabilities and no aide? Not sure that's a good idea! Thanks for the info and the link.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachersk View Post
Wow - 10 students with disabilities and no aide? Not sure that's a good idea! Thanks for the info and the link.
Last year, I had 18 moderately disabled students and NO AIDE.

Tags
class, lld