A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > High School

Old 03-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Aficionado

Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
Length of class periods

How long are your class periods? Is the time too long, too short or just right?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Well, since you asked.....

On a "normal" day, they're 38 minutes.

On a "homeroom meeting" day, they're 36 minutes. These rarely come up, but they're convenient for days when snowy roads make it hard to get everyone to school by the time homeroom ends at 8:30. It buys us another 18 minutes to get everyone settled.

On an "AM Assembly" (like today) or "PM Assembly" they're 32 minutes. We use those schedules for things like guidance assemblies or Homeroom Door Decorating at Christmas (and de-decorating in January)

On "Mass Assembly" or "Extended PM Assembly" days, classes are 28 minutes. We use them, obviously, for mass once a month, but also for things like Pep Rallies.

38 minutes is perfect. But those 28 minute periods simply fly by!!
Old 03-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

SoCal
High School English Teacher
We have 55-minute periods, and after five years at the high school, I can pretty much nail it so that I fill the period, so I guess they're just right.

We've been talking about scheduling in one of my grad classes, and research shows that student achievement goes up overall in schools with an A/B block schedule. I find that very intriguing - I'd like to try it some day. Actually, because I think my seniors need a lot more time to read and write in class, next fall I'm going to teach as if I had two separate courses - Brit lit and composition and rhetoric - that I'll teach on alternating days, similar to a college schedule. We'll see how that works out!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Habitué

North Carolina
High School Teacher
Our class periods are 70 minutes. Seventy minutes is perfect for a psychology lecture in my opinion. It is also nice on some days to have a shorter lecture and a group activity or class discussion. For music class, 70 minutes goes by too quickly. By the time the students set up their instruments, run through warm up, and get in a musical groove, half the period is over. And then I have to give them a good five to ten minutes to pack up. For my more advanced Jazz Ensemble and Orchestra classes, I try to put in a request to have them during the last block of the day so that I can keep them an extra thirty minutes after school. I make a deal with my students that I will give them study hall on some days in exchange for these extended rehearsal periods.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Habitué

Fifth Grade American History
My classes are about an hour. On the "schedule" they are 70 minutes, but by the time you carve out a little recess and locker breaks its an hour. I like it, but then I've worked 45 minutes, an hour, 90 minutes and next year we'll have 1 15 classes daily and most days I still don't feel like I have as much time as I want.

A expands to fill B

Geesh, Alice - You could fit two of your periods inside one of mine - how many classes do you teach per day?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Fanatic

PA
5th grade teacher
We have a block schedule. Our classes are 80 minutes. I like it because of the subject I teach. I teach a foods class and on lab days it makes it great. We don't have to rush around like crazy to do all the steps from prep through clean up. On non-lab days it can sometimes feel a bit long, but I try to vary what we do throughout the block so that it stays interesting.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Connoisseur

Louisiana
CHEMISTRY
Our classes are 63 minutes long. We have a rotating schedule and drop a class everyday. Today we had D-E-F-G-A-B and dropped C. Tomorrow will be C-D-E-F-G-A and B will drop out. I like it because I see kids at different times of the day and 63 minutes is just perfect for doing a lab. Most teachers teach 5 classes sothey get 2 hours off most days but at least 1 hour off everyday. I teach 6 classes so every 7th day I do not get a planning period during the school day so that makes it hard.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Aficionado

MA, USA
Prinicpal 7-12 Private School & SS
Last year we had a 4 by 4 block. I liked the schedule, but it didn't give much flexebility to students. In this schedule we had 84 minute clases. This year we have 5 55 minute periods (and 1 65 minute period) and I think it is too short, next year we will be moving to 68 minute periods which I think will be PERFECT.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Companion

Missouri
MEd Candidate -- Secondary English
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemteach55 View Post
Our classes are 63 minutes long. We have a rotating schedule and drop a class everyday. Today we had D-E-F-G-A-B and dropped C. Tomorrow will be C-D-E-F-G-A and B will drop out. I like it because I see kids at different times of the day and 63 minutes is just perfect for doing a lab. Most teachers teach 5 classes sothey get 2 hours off most days but at least 1 hour off everyday. I teach 6 classes so every 7th day I do not get a planning period during the school day so that makes it hard.
That sounds confusing to me! Do the students manage to keep up with the classes they have that day? Do you often get "I thought we didn't have this class today!" excuses?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:30 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientcivteach View Post
My classes are about an hour. On the "schedule" they are 70 minutes, but by the time you carve out a little recess and locker breaks its an hour. I like it, but then I've worked 45 minutes, an hour, 90 minutes and next year we'll have 1 15 classes daily and most days I still don't feel like I have as much time as I want.

A expands to fill B

Geesh, Alice - You could fit two of your periods inside one of mine - how many classes do you teach per day?
A typical math teacher would teach 5 periods per day, plus homeroom and a duty (study hall, cafeteria duty....) We have one Prep period, lunch, and one "on call" period a day, where we sub for any teacher who is out.

Because one of my preps is SAT Math, my schedule varies from day to day. Throw in the fact that my slow class has a double period (back to back) every other day.

Tags
class, length, periods