A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Companion

NW Indiana
When do districts hire for the fall?

A number of districts in my area have openings in secondary math for the fall, and these openings are being posted on the Indiana DOE website as we speak. On average, when do they actually fill the position?

Does each district take their own time, or should I expect a surge of callbacks and interviews in late July?

Currently, I've taken all the exams required to qualify for an Indiana Emergency License. I should get the scores for the Praxis II Math in late April. At that point, I plan on making the final update to my resume, and doing a mass submission to all area schools. How likely is it that a school that posts a job opening for the fall in March will have the position filled before mid-May?

MathManTim

Old 03-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
We try to fill ours before the end of school. I have heard that some districts wait until the summer to hire, though.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
Most schools around here start interviewing and filling spots in May. There might be some openings in late June/July that will be filled late summer.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Comrade

California/Texas
Depends on your district. In the district that I live in they do not usually hire till summer, generally late summer. They have a tight budget and do not hire until they have a very good idea on how many students they will have. However, my sister was head of human resource in a very large district and they liked to get most of the jobs filled now, and all done before July. So, it really depends on where you are, how many teachers will be needed, and the budget of the schools.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I'm in a Catholic HS.

During Holy Week ( just before Easter) our adminitrative staff meets to discuss staffing for next year.

They start to look at resumes just after Easter.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Phenom

Tim,

In my district, they do internal transfer interviewing first (employees requesting to be transferred). They are doing that now. Then the first half of April is forced transfers (a school goes down in size and you get displaced). Then right around mid April, regular hiring begins. Jobs are posted, most people have signed their contracts and the principals know who is and isn't coming back.

Most things are shaken out and people are hired by mid May. Summer hires are usually for unforeseen things like a husband gets transferred or kindergarten numbers are higher than expected.

I am in Texas.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
My district will tend to post vacancies right around the time of the budget vote (mid-late April) and then begin interviewing after that. They try to have most positions filled by July 1, unless a position opens up late. Our school year runs from September to late June.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Phenom

Disney country
Back in the saddle again!
If we hire, it won't be until summer. However, the only hiring for next year will be to rehire some of the 100's of teachers that will be laid off in June.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
beckysuek
Old 03-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Groupie

Florida
Whatever my boss asks to me do
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckysuek View Post
If we hire, it won't be until summer. However, the only hiring for next year will be to rehire some of the 100's of teachers that will be laid off in June.
I'm wondering if they will be doing it as an official "reduction in force" because if they just do it as a non-renewal than the district can hire whoever they want. By just doing straight non-renewals the district can save some buckoo bucks hiring less experienced teachers. Think about they went crazy with out-of-state recruiting. There are many teachers then that have multiple years experience in other states but less than 3 in Florida. They can get rid of any teacher that doesn't have their professional contract without a reason.

A reduction in force requires a recall list. A non-renewal doesn't have that list.

Tags
districts, fall, hire