A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 03-16-2009, 11:21 PM

The land of fun and sun
Former math teacher
Art teachers...I need help

One of the things I use to teach systems of equations with more than two equations is the vanishing point in paintings. I've been using a couple of DaVinci paintings (madonna on the rocks, madonna on the yarnwinder), but I'm tired of them. I need paintings that have clear lines going into the vanishing point, be relatively uncluttered, and have no more than two vanishing points (though preferably one). Any thoughts?

Old 03-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
No, but I am going to look up the mentioned paintings to learn exactly what you mean.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
There's a Dutch landscape the name of which I don't recall; let me rummage about a bit.

Some examples from this page - http://www.ski.org/CWTyler_lab/CWTyl...efHistory.html - might help...

An interesting discussion here: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/math5...11/unit11.html

Found it! The artist is Hobbema; the painting is Avenue at Middelharnis; you can see it here: http://www1.nationalgallery.org.uk/c...r/feature4.htm

I'll add that your empty pool, suitably photographed, would do nicely.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Old teacher, you might enjoy the two sites I gave mm as well - and there's a nifty Web site on Leonardo and all of this (that mm will know) that you can link to from the Wikipedia page on perspective.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:08 AM

The land of fun and sun
Former math teacher
Old teacher, the vanishing point is a point somwhere on the painting that sets perspective. It's what makes a 2-D surface look 3-D. In order to achieve that, the relative size of objects in the foreground, midground and background change, and the "sight line" will follow a linear path from various objects, with all the lines "dissapearing" at a certain point, aka, the vanishing point. What I do is put a clear piece of heavy plastic over a print of the painting and mark out the sight lines (an art teacher can correct me if my terminology is wrong). Then, over that, I lay a coordinate plane. First, we figure out equations of the various lines, then use systems of equations to find the point where thy all intersect to find the "address" of the vanishing point.

The kids really like this activity, plus they get the added bonus of seeing good art and learning a thing or two about it. My school district has all but eliminated art and music, so If I can work it into my classes, I do so.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:09 AM

The land of fun and sun
Former math teacher
lol tg...though it's not quite empty...there's a bit of water, plus 5 kids...that makes it pretty full in my mind (playing in a filling pool is WAY more fun than playing in a full pool, just so you know).
Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Okay, then, wiseacre, your filling pool - but definitely not your full pool, capisce?

Did what I came up with help any, huh, huh, did they?

(I am so a groupie... tch.)
Old 03-17-2009, 12:17 AM

The land of fun and sun
Former math teacher
lol, tg. Yup, I like a few of them. Some of the ones I like the best have quite a few perspective points, though I think I can choose one or two. I'm going to sweet talk the copy guy into printing out "Jesus before the Caif" in poster size. It has more points than I need, but there's to major ones and I can use just those two.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:22 AM

The land of fun and sun
Former math teacher
hmmmmm, maybe I like "School of Athens" even better.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:32 AM

The land of fun and sun
Former math teacher
Now I have too much to decide...do I go with earlier attempts at multiple perspective points or one with a true single vanishing point? Grumble. The multiple points have fewer lines going into them, hence an easier system to solve, but the later ones are so clean and clear. *sigh* I remember now why I picked the ones I picked. I'm still tired of teaching them though. I want new ones.

Tags
art, teachersi