A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 03-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Devotee

Florida
combo K/1st
Rainbow word wall questions

Is this store bought or do you make your own? If I understand correctly the rainbow word wall is for placig the words each child can read. Is this right? Then do you use this instead of or in addition to a word wall (the abcs going across the wall with words under each letter)? Do you put up the rainbow board at the beginning of the year? How often do you add to it? What words do you add, sight words only, color words, number words...?

Old 03-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Novice

I bought it through http://www.rainbowwords.com/

You could make your own, but for me it was easier to buy it. I took my sight words for the year and divided them into the colors. Each child has their own cloud and as they master the words for a color, they earn a raindrop. When you order it, it comes with a great parent letter, forms that can go home to let parents know what they need to work on and little certificates. It has been a great motivation in my class and the parent responded well to it. I started the year off by making my kids magnets with the words through Vista Print.

One of my co-workers is going to start Reading Racers which is similar.
http://carlscorner.us.com/ReadingRacers.htm
Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Companion

near the beach!
Kindergarten Teacher
Made my own. Used a piece of 9x12 paper for eacher letter. Stapled 26 of said sheets to the wall. On each sheet I put one letter (I used those premade die cut letters). As we learn new words, I put them up on the wall in the correct place. Words that are similarly spelled (i.e. the and they) I put in different colors (also construction paper). I also cut out the word shapes. Its colorful, the kids love it and refer to it for their writing constantly.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Connoisseur

California
Kindergarten Teacher
We put up colorful clouds that match the rainbow colors. When the students master a rainbow color, their name goes up on the cloud above the rainbow. Right now all my kids have their name on the purple cloud, most have it on the blue cloud, and 4 or 5 on the green cloud. I like it because before this our kids were only exposed to something like 17 sight words. This exposes them to more, so that the gap between K and 1st grade reading won't be so big.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Novice

California
There is one you can buy online and you add whatever words you're teaching in whatever order you want. The goal is to motivate the kids to learn sight words, and that is often pretty boring or dry. As you introduce new words, they get added to the rainbow (with velcro so you can move them around) and the kids try to learn the words in each color arc. This word wall is more about READING the words and being motivated to learn to read the words on the rainbow. Many teachers who use an abc word wall use both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlj View Post
Is this store bought or do you make your own? If I understand correctly the rainbow word wall is for placig the words each child can read. Is this right? Then do you use this instead of or in addition to a word wall (the abcs going across the wall with words under each letter)? Do you put up the rainbow board at the beginning of the year? How often do you add to it? What words do you add, sight words only, color words, number words...?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Groupie

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlj View Post
We use Rainbow Words in our district and I love it! It is a commercially made product that you can purchase at rainbowwords.com. Our entire district uses it in all of our pre-k classrooms, however it does not replace our word walls, we still have our word walls and are required to use them. I use the Rainbow as an organizational tool, you can read more about how I use it on my sight words page. I add 6 words every two weeks to our rainbow in pre-k, it may go more quickly in kinder. We don't start using our rainbow in pre-k until January so it works out for us. We don't use the words that come with the rainbow, we use our own set of words according to our district mandates.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Groupie

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2tchk View Post
I started the year off by making my kids magnets with the words through Vista Print.
Great idea! I made each student a big post card from VP with the Rainbow Words our district uses, you can see pics of the postcard here.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Comrade

1st Grade Teacher
Vanna, I always love your ideas. I have your website on favorites. Do you use both sets 1 and 2? If I teach kindergarten next year I want to use these in the classroom. Also did you buy the extra sets for use in word work area?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Groupie

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcherjen View Post
Vanna, I always love your ideas. I have your website on favorites. Do you use both sets 1 and 2? If I teach kindergarten next year I want to use these in the classroom. Also did you buy the extra sets for use in word work area?
No, I didn't buy both sets- didn't even know there was more than one I had to make a lot of my own word cards to put on the rainbow because our district doesn't use the same exact words that come with the program. It was super easy and quick to type my words on cardstock, laminate, and put on the rainbow with velcro. I didn't know there were extra sets you could purchase to use in word work, I haven't visited the site lately, maybe they have some new products- I need to go there and check it out
Old 06-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Cohort

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Okay, you have my attention. Tell me more about how this works, please.

Tags
questions, rainbow, wall, word