A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Devotee

New Jersey
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseteacher12 View Post
what are the 4 most important qualities a tacher can have?
i would say:

flexibility
creativity
passion
compassion/caring attitude

Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Devotee

New Jersey
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYJMM View Post
This was a new one to me

INTERVIEW QUESTION: Give me four words to describe a successful classroom
active
engaging
compassionate

hmmm i'm having trouble thinking of words to describe a successful classroom. The first two I chose because I want my students to be involved not just sitting at their esks listening to me, I like hands-on teaching. Engaging goes along with this but more so is about the teaching and learning being fun and interesting. I choe compassionate because I ant the students to care for eachother and feel like a team or a family. There are a lot of other things I am thinking of for a successful classroom but I cant narrow them down into a word! Maybe "high expectations"?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Devotee

New Jersey
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecl View Post
I just wanted to thank everyone for posting interview questions and answers here. I found it very helpful and studied up on them before an interview.

Here were the questions from my interview (I know that some are similar to what is already on these boards, but I just wanted others to know that these same ones keep recurring, so be prepared):

1. What is your main teaching strength?
ok i hate that this question asks for ONE thing! i fel like hey i have a lot of strengths! I never know what one thing would be the BEST to answer with. Thoughts?
2. What is your weakness?
"something I am working on is having sooo many ideas, lessons, activities and never enough time to do them! I will spend hours and hours contemplating the best lessons to use for any given subject or theme and then not be able to fit them all in. I've found though that the best way to work in this is to use a interdisciplinary approach and link subjects together. For example, as part of a science theme on fall we spent a few weeks learning about apples. I had tons and tons of apple activities. I knew I couldnt fit them all into science time so i linked them with other lessons such as a reading lesson using the letter a and books about apples."
3. What would you do with a disruptive student?
I would first look at my own teaching and see if there is somehting I could be doing differently. Is this lesson not reaching this child because he/she is bored? are they not understanding it? is it to easy? then if the child continued to be disruptive despite my best efforts I would use my discipline plan that had been set into place.
4. What student behaviors are a red flag that something is wrong outside of school?
the only thing i could think of for this is a change in school work and a change in attitude
5. What if a principal told you that a teaching method you were using was ineffective?
i would ask the principal for suggestions or other methods they feel I might try?
6. What is your teaching philosophy?
in very few words basically my philosophy says that i beleive all children can learn if given the right tools, obviosuly there a lot more details but I'm not going to get into it cuz it would be verrrrry long!

I must have answered the questions correctly, because I got the job!
congrats on the job! anyone want to critique my thoughts for these questions?
Old 07-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Novice

Math teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseteacher12 View Post
congrats on the job! anyone want to critique my thoughts for these questions?
For the strength question, I said that I know how to build up an excellent classroom climate. I then went into all the ways that I do this (high ratio of positive to negative comments, refer to the class as a group - "Nice job, room 307", establish clear and consistent rules and routines, let each student know I am delighted they are in my class, that they are a valued member of the group, etc.).

I think your weakness answer is fine. I just said that I am very demanding of myself, over analyze things, beat that dead horse.

I think your disruptive student answer is fine. My answer was that after I build up a climate of respect and caring, most students respond well. But if there is a disruption, I give a "teacher" look, maybe stand by the student, remind him of the rule, redirect him, and if that fails, give a consequence. I am consistent and unemotional with the consequences. I never let them know if they are pushing my buttons, because then they'll be pushing my buttons all day. I also said that I never give up on a student, that I hang in there until I find an approach that helps the student to make better choices.

Some red flags that I mentioned are acting out, not giving eye contact or interacting socially with peers (withdrawing), sleeping during class (and I gave an example of a student I had who fell asleep during class because it turned out that her mom just had a baby and the girl had to walk the baby at night so that the mom could get some sleep), bruises or broken bones.

For the principal question, I said that I would show the principal data that would back up the effectiveness of the method - data, classroom observations, logs - but that I would certainly be open to whatever the principal had to say.

For the teaching philosophy, I said the same as you - that all children can learn, and I added that I am the person who is responsible for their learning, and if they don't get it, I have to find a different approach. As long as they are trying, they don't have to feel any pressure, because they know that if they fail, it is my responsibility to find a way for them to succeed. I hold myself accountable for their success or failure.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Rookie

As a first grade teacher, describe your language arts program.

Walk me through a guided reading lesson.

What are other students doing during your guided reading?

A child has been misbehaving in your class. The parent doesn't see this as a problem and doesn't believe the child is misbehaving. What do you do?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Devotee

New Jersey
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerder View Post
As a first grade teacher, describe your language arts program.

Walk me through a guided reading lesson.

What are other students doing during your guided reading?

A child has been misbehaving in your class. The parent doesn't see this as a problem and doesn't believe the child is misbehaving. What do you do?
Mass, what was your response for the guided reading question? I havent done GR myself but i thought it was basically run the same way?
Old 07-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Newcomer

Hi,
I would love a copy of the interview questions for notecards.
many thanks!!!
Linda
Old 07-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Rookie

2nd Grade Teacher
I would just like to contribute a few to this thread, since I know it was very helpful to me in getting my job. Here are the ones I had from my last interview (in which I got the job!!):

What does it mean to you to be a teacher?

Describe which teaching methods work best for you?

Is it important to be liked by your co-workers? Why or why not?

Give us some examples of how you've integrated reading and writing in other subject areas.

How do you use technology in the classroom?

How do you keep students from getting bored?

What are the most important things to get done in the first few days of school?

How do you plan to keep up with current teaching practices?

Give examples of how you would communicate with parents, teachers, and administrators.

What could you bring to _____ Elementary that we do not have here?

Hope this helps the job seekers!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:04 AM
Newcomer

tx
Kindergarten Teacher
application questions... help

Can anyone help with these questions? I would really appreciate any ideas you have. I am trying to renter the education field after being home with my children for awhile. I've sent in many apps but no calls for interviews... thinking maybe I'm way off on my app answers like these??...........

1)DEscribe your collaboration style?

2)How important are an organization's mission and vision statemant?

3)What is your vision for education?

4)Describe your technology skills. Provide an example of how you utilize technology in your current position. (I don't have a current position... that is why I am applying!)

5)In what ways are you qualified to address the issue of diversity as a part of your instructional program?

6)Describe the classroom conditions that best facilitate learning. Include strategies you would use to assure maximum learning for all students.

I would really appreciate any help ... thanks!!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Newcomer

FL
Elementary Ed. K-6
Help!!!

Can someone help me answer these in terview questions I heard today-I think I was ok on a few, but not all of them:

1.How many years have you been teaching?(Is there an eloquent way to say I've been a volunteer, sub., tutor, & intern, but never really had my own class yet-so 0?)

2.Tell me about a time when you had a child that was misbehaving and what did you do about it?

3.Pick a lesson that you developed(in my internship say. . .)and describe the planning that went into it.

4.How do you assess what a child is learning (@ the end of the unit/chapter/section)?

5.How do you ensure that your students will meet your high expectations?

6.Why is teaching your CHOSEN profession?

7.What position are you looking for?(I had no idea what spots they even had OPEN as I really would like to teach 2nd grade or below.)

8.How will you address the learning needs of your students?

Last edited by gatorgrl75; 07-22-2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Left out a question

Tags
2009, interview, questions