A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Newcomer

High School Teacher
im not really nervous cause I did well on the GRE quantitative section without studying and I studied a bunch for this! So yea, Im reviewing my discrete math and trigonometry since i havent seen that stuff in a while.

Thanks for Encouragement Groupie...Minimum Score for my state is 136, I think I should surpass this.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Sounds promising, LeatherNeck!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
plurple, you call this a hijack??

But, seriously... take a look at the coverage for each test that's indicated in the official online materials - the Frameworks doc for WEST-E, the list of topics on the Tests at a Glance doc for 0061. I'm guessing that there isn't much that Praxis covers that WEST-E doesn't, so chances are pretty good that you're in fine shape.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Comrade

Well, the GRE quantitative section is extremely easy and is just like the SATs so don't think it can really be compared with the Praxis II math.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Newcomer

Virginia
High School Teacher
I took the praxis II math 0061 content knowledge test last April. It was not my first praxis II exam in which I had the pleasure of taking. (Sarcasm implied) I am one of many of ets's disgruntled customers. My complaints are endless when it comes to this company as well as my states "standard" passing score. If anyone else is licensed in the state of Virginia you can empathies with me.
I am a licensed physics teacher. I took the praxis II in physics 3 times. Itís a nearly impossible test to complete in the time allowed, not mention no equations are given and no calculators are permitted. Only after teaching for two years was I able to achieve a passing score; and I have a BS in Physics. Virginia requires a passing score of 147 for both physics and math. I have now scored a 146 on the physics test and again last April on the mathematics test.
As far as "raw score vs. scaled score" goes I believe itís a bunch of CRAP. ETS's "statistical" algorithm, which is not disclosed to a test taker, is a scam. I received a raw score two different times on two different tests in which I should have received a passing score. However, ETS's scaled score placed me one point below my states passing score. Coincidence, I think not. I have heard too many stories from other co-workers and post graduates who score one point below their states passing score. The sad truth to my story and my ultimate complaint is that ETS is keeping well qualified, young, enthusiastic teachers out of the classroom.
I will take the math praxis II again at the end of July. I pray my study efforts these past two months pay off. My job depends on it and ETSís scoring algorithm.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Companion

AL
146 is a passing score in math 0061 in every state (that uses Praxis II) *except* Virginia. I'm sorry.

Are you saying it's a scam from ETS to make people pay another $80 to take the exam? That stinks.

Best to you.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
That's 146 on a scale from 100 to 200, though: most of us have been in college classes that we'd have flunked with a score like that.

teachphysics, my experience of teacher tests is that when no calculator is allowed, the math usually is manageable by hand. In some cases, in fact, the math can be finessed - I'm thinking of the classic math problem early in the SAT that involves some long and hideous sequence of symbols that's raised to the power 0: the cute trick here is that a number raised to the power 0 is simply 1.

The Praxis content knowledge tests are multiple choice tests, if memory serves. Do you give your students multiple choice tests? If so, how do you guide students who panic?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Rookie

VA
If in doubt "_" and stick with it statistically the odds are in your favor. Iím just kidding. I'm too scared to even sign-up for the test! I know this will work out for your benefit teachphysics. I have no room to jest, my HS Physics teacher made me cry. All I remember is a slope, a plane, a force and a ball. Wait! Oh no! Is that a tear? No, really good luck!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Newcomer

Virginia
High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
146 is a passing score in math 0061 in every state (that uses Praxis II) *except* Virginia. I'm sorry.

Are you saying it's a scam from ETS to make people pay another $80 to take the exam? That stinks.

Best to you.
I believe if your raw score is boarder line with your states passing score then ETS will more than likely make you retake the exam. I purchased their study guide which claimed that a raw score of 28 of 50 would result in a scaled score of 146. I got 31 questions right which means ETS deemed the particular exam I took easier than other exams they developed. ( ETS website claims that this is how their scaled algorithm works.)
Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Newcomer

Virginia
High School Teacher
[QUOTE=TeacherGroupie;1261383]That's 146 on a scale from 100 to 200, though: most of us have been in college classes that we'd have flunked with a score like that.

A flunking score indeed if the score was an average, but it's not. A raw score percentage does not equate to ets's scaled score precentage. Its also hard to compare a semester final exam with the math praxis II. The amount of material alone is uncomparable.

I would admitt I struggle with test anxioty, especially multiple choice questions. I've always been good at mathematics but I second guess myself on standardized exams. I teach AP Physics which has a standarized multiple choice section on the final exam. I give my students alot of previous AP mulitple choice questions throughout the year and teach them tricks and methods to find the right answer. I'm having difficulty finding practice questions with certain sections of the Math Praxis II test. Specifically, Discrete mathematics and matrix theory.
Do you know of any good websites?

Tags
0061, math, praxis, raw, scaled