A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Companion

NW Indiana
Praxis II Math 0061 - raw vs. scaled

I've been practicing for the Praxis II Math Content exam next Saturday (March 14th). I know that Indiana requires a scaled score of 136 to pass. Does anyone know what kind of raw score is required to get this scaled score? I haven't been able to find jack-squat for info on how the raw score gets converted to a scaled score.

Thanks,

MathManTim

Old 03-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Novice

CA
136/200 = 68%
Old 03-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Companion

NW Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahsjing View Post
136/200 = 68%
Thank you Captain Obvious!

From some of what I've read, though, I get the impression that it's not that direct. For example, I thought I read that the minimum score was 100 and the maximum 200. If that's true, then 136 would be only 36% correct, and that seems astonishingly low for a passing score...

Thanks,

MathManTim
Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Wow: I didn't know any teacher test allowed a scaled score that low. (Come to find, though, that some states may allow lower scores than that, or did as of 2006: see http://eduinsights.blogspot.com/2006...h-teacher.html). The test being in math, though, it's perhaps less surprising: if the pool of qualified candidates is smaller than the number of jobs available, the pressure is on to reduce the qualifications. And I believe the bulk of the scores on teacher tests were set when it was anticipated that there would be a shortage of teachers.

Scaled scores exist so that each version of a given test represents, overall, an equivalent level of effort and proficiency: it's much easier to weight questions differentially than it is to write questions that are exactly equivalent in difficulty.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Companion

NW Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGroupie View Post
Wow: I didn't know any teacher test allowed a scaled score that low. (Come to find, though, that some states may allow lower scores than that, or did as of 2006: see http://eduinsights.blogspot.com/2006...h-teacher.html).
I was reading that same blog post earlier today. As I've been reviewing for the test, I've been surprised at how relatively elementary the questions have been. Nothing at all like the Math GRE. Some of the questions have thrown me a bit because I literally haven't seen some of the topics since high school (15 years ago). For the past few years, my math education has been much more proof-oriented than computation-oriented.

In my practice exams, I've been averaging about 42-45 out of 50 on the raw score. If the relation between the scaled score and the raw score is linear, then I should be okay. Otherwise, heck, maybe a scaled score of 136 really is 40 or so out of 50 correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGroupie View Post
If the pool of qualified candidates is smaller than the number of jobs available...
That's what I'm hoping for my area. I don't know, though...it seems like my alma mater graduates a fair number of math teachers into the local job pool. Oh, well. I guess I'll find out this Saturday at the job fair.

MathManTim
Old 03-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
As to the pool of qualified candidates, I'm talking historically, Tim, not presently. And, in partial contradiction of the blog's assertions, some of the other states' tests are rather less heavy on computation: see the sample items at http://www.cset.nesinc.com/CS_testguide_Mathopener.asp.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Companion

AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathManTim View Post
As I've been reviewing for the test, I've been surprised at how relatively elementary the questions have been.
Did you take the test? We want details! (Ok, nothing proprietary...)

Old 03-21-2009, 12:36 PM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
He probably won't find out how he did for about a month. I took the middle school math test last March and missed it by 2 points. A passing score for here was 148.

Tim hope you passed!!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Companion

NW Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
Did you take the test? We want details! (Ok, nothing proprietary...)

Yep, I took it last Saturday. I'm pretty sure I passed, though I would be floored if I got a perfect score. For the record, the test was harder than the sample exams in the preparation books I bought. In retrospect, I should have spent a little more time reviewing matrix theory.

Oh, and I'm changing my name on this board temporarily. In honor of my officially passing Praxis I, I am changing my name from MathManTim to Math-(Who's The Man! )-Tim for the next 24 hours.

Math-(Who's The Man! )-Tim
Old 03-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
(chuckling)

Cute, Tim.

Tags
0061, math, praxis, raw, scaled