A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 02-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Rookie

New York, NY
Submit Resume by Email, SnailMail or by Hand?

Hi Guys,

I'm a grad student getting certified in Elementary Special Ed/General Ed and am starting to look for Teaching Assistant positions for next year to gain experience. What is the best approach for submitting resumes? I was thinking of personally bringing them into a few prime schools to hopefully make more of an impact. Is that too forward or even worth the time?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 02-14-2009, 12:31 AM
(formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Northern IL
Getting Tired of Being Unemployed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyLioness View Post
I'm a grad student getting certified in Elementary Special Ed/General Ed and am starting to look for Teaching Assistant positions for next year to gain experience. What is the best approach for submitting resumes? I was thinking of personally bringing them into a few prime schools to hopefully make more of an impact. Is that too forward or even worth the time?
I'm going to be extremely blunt here.

I've been looking for a paraprofessional position now for a little over 2 months and have been coming up empty handed. Just finding jobs to apply for right now is difficult. And that's not just here, but across the country. Know that no matter how you approach this, you're in for an uphill battle.

It's also worth noting that many principals don't want to hire people like us (I say us because I'm a grad student too only I'm seeking a Master's in Secondary Education) because we lack experience. I'm finding that the vast majority of principals would rather hire someone who already has actual teacher certification versus someone who doesn't. Why? Apparently, they like having a hiring pool to choose from when teaching positions become available. In addition, certified individuals can apparently more in terms of also subbing, small group instruction, reading intervention, etc... . Not that people like us can't do those things either, but versatility the certification provides them with that better than it does without any certification whatsoever.

I'm NOT trying to scare you here, just telling you like it is.

By the way, there's some folks here looking for SPECED positions and are having a just as difficult time as everyone else. I'm also seeing elementary individuals going back to school to pursue secondary education for greater chances of employment because the elementary level is sooo overcrowded.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
I would email a cover letter with your resume first. Then follow that up with a hand delivered cover letter and resume in a few days.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Devotee

North Carolina
Special Education Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngal View Post
I would email a cover letter with your resume first. Then follow that up with a hand delivered cover letter and resume in a few days.
I agree
Old 02-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Rookie

New York, NY
Thanks so much guys!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Devotee

1st Grade Teacher
So if you mail the resume do you need to type the addresses on the envelope, label them or hand write them?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Companion

I would type it, but I don't think it would hurt to hand write it. I just like the clean look of it typed.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Devotee

1st Grade Teacher
So now I have to go find a type writer. I have no idea where I would find one of those. lol
Old 02-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Companion

Just do it on the computer. If the envelope won't fit, just a label. If neither of those work, I would just write the address! I don't think it is going to make or break you if the envelope is written or typed. It is what is in the envelope that really matters!
Old 02-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
I agree to either type out the address or put it on the label.

Tags
email, hand, resume, snailmail, submit