A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Enthusiast

New York
Resource room
P3? SEIT? SETTS? -- NY'ers

I'm looking for information about these positions, whether you know anything or can point me to a resource I'd appreciate it (I already tried talking to some people who work in schools as well as calling the city and state level departments of education. They were unhelpful.)

Here are some of my initial questions:
1. What qualifications are needed in order to provide these services?
2. Is there any additional paperwork, application, whatever, in order to become a provider or is it enough to just be qualified?
3. What is the compensation? If you take a full caseload are there benefits like a full-time job?
4. What are the actual job descriptions? What do you have to do in these positions?

Well, I guess that's enough for starters! #1 is my main question though the others are also things I'd like to know. I'd also love to know why it's so hard to find this out when there are so many kids who are eligible for these services!
TIA!

Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

New York
Resource room
5. Do you have to go through an agency for SEIT or can you take cases independently as you can for P3?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
I'm in NY and have never heard of these. I am curious to see what you find out!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

New York
Resource room
All I know is that they are services for students who need extra help (not necessarily special ed designated, though, I'm not sure). P3 is like tutoring or resource room, can be either -- I think P3 refers to the law that funds it or something, so it includes both. SEIT is when a special ed teacher comes into a general ed early childhood classroom to work with an individual child for one period at a time. SETTS I know nothing about but it is supposedly the older-elementary version of SEIT but different (???). Of the three SEIT is the highest paying (afaik) but it's only for kids aged 3-5 (afaik) and I enjoy working with older kids more. So maybe, if I could, I would try to take a couple of SEIT cases and a bunch of P3's or SETTS as well, but I have no idea how it works.

I've actually been offered a couple of P3 cases already but I have no idea what I would have to do in order to get them! Apparently some schools arrange it for their students and others leave it up to the parents; I have been approached by parents -- neighbors and friends who heard that I graduated with a teaching degree and want to know if I can do it for them. And all I could say was that I honestly have no idea...

Tags
nyers, seit, setts