A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Cohort

Middle School Teacher
Class Cookbook Project

Hey all!

I'm thinking about doing some kind of a class cookbook project with my 6th grade math classes. I remember at a workshop I went to, another teacher was talking about it but she didn't get into depth. We just finished our unit on adding/subtracting fractions and mixed numbers and we're getting into our multiplication/division of fractions unit, and I thought a project involving real life applications of fractions would really hit home with some of these kids.

Has anyone ever done this that can share what exactly you asked the students to do? I'm just looking for some guidelines. I googled class cookbook project and didn't really find what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
Do you want them to write the recipes? ---or follow some recipes?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 AM
Enthusiast

I just found one recipe that involved converting fractions and made it with the class. I teach special ed. so we do this kind of stuff a lot. I had a recipe I could have send but my hard drive broke so I can't help you but I did find it on the internet. I also have a fifth grade math book I got a ton of stuff from so I will check there, too.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
I did a class cookbook with my kindergarten students at the end of our family unit. I just sent a note home and asked parents to send in a favorite family recipe. I said it could be anything (a snack, main dish, dessert, etc.), and I sent a simple form with them. I had a laminated cover and back. I used those black binding combs to put it all together (including a table of contents). They turned out great!

With your students you could ask families to send a recipe that included a variety of measurements. Maybe give them an example. After the book is finished you could have a story problem or question for each recipe.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Cohort

Middle School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Do you want them to write the recipes? ---or follow some recipes?
I'm sorry. I should have been more specific.

I want to do a class cookbook where they half the recipes and double them and that kind of stuff. That way, they're using what they learned in class and can relate that to their own world.

Tags
class, cookbook, project