A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Behavior Management

Old 02-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Newcomer

Colorado
Special Education Teacher
Whole class reward system

I am trying to get ideas for a whole class reward system. I recently implemented a marble jar technique where my students decide on a reward as a class during circle time. Suggested rewards were an extra recess, an hour for an art project, time for our school pet to come into the classroom, or extra time on the computers. Any time that the class displays appropriate behavior, I will call up a student, who puts 1 sometimes 2 marbles in the jar. When the jar is full, they receive the reward that the majority of the group decided on. My classroom is made up of less than 10 students, ranging in grades from k-5. My issue with the current reward system is there is no way to ensure that the class is not losing the reward (or taking way too long to earn it) based on one students behavior. It also does not prevent a student who does not help earn the reward from getting the reward anyway. I could definetly use some ideas of other types of systems or how to adjust the current one to ensure that only the students who earn the rewards get it.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Cohort

NC
7th Grade Teacher
Read about the K-4, and 5-12th grade versions of the Scoreboard Game from Power Teaching.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Comrade

Florida
Assistant Principal
I use poker chips for class participation and that works rather well. When students get a question that I ask correct or if they offer some substantial discussion with the lesson they get a chip. Each chip is worth 5 points and I keep a tally of all of the points at the end of each class in an Excel spreadsheet. Once a month I bring in prizes that the students can "buy" with their points. The students love the chips and it helps keep them on track in the lessons and out of trouble.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Connoisseur

CA.
1st Grade Teacher
Prefered Activity Time. Check out Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones. You trade time earned by moving through transitions quickly or earned from doing bonus work (whatever you want to give bonuses for) for a lesson or guided activity the children will enjoy.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
I like the scoreboard idea but how can I adapt it to a deaf classroom. I can't just walk over and loudly groan "Mighty Groan." I'm not going to flip the lights to get everyone's attention just to do a goofy face either.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Comrade

IN
3rd Grade Teacher
Don't know if this will help but my 4th graders get 15 minutes on the board each week that is added to and subtracted from. What is left on Friday is what the students get for free/game time.

Another class I was in did a similar thing where when they got 10 tallies they got 10 mins of free time. This was cool b/c students got the reward that day and didn't have to wait til Friday to get the reward. The teacher would occasionally take tallies away but rarely. She had a mini economy and she would fine kids before taking away the whole classes tallies (usually).
Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Cohort

texas
5th Grade Bilingual
I have pizza points. Each table group is color-coded and has a matching pizzing topping (green=jalapeño, yellow=pineapple, red=pepperoni, etc.). In order for our class to get a pizza party (or a fried chicken party, whatever they decide), they have to have a total of 30 pizza toppings with each table contributing at least 4 toppings (there are 6 tables in all). Here's what it looks like: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1337/...g?v=1189050580

We use Homeworkopoly for additional prizes, for which those who don't do their work don't get to participate. The pizza party is a guaranteed whole-class reward. Recently we were having some issues with students being really disrespectful, so now they try to earn respect links; once they have a chain that goes across the room, they will have a respect fiesta with nachos and taquitos.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Newcomer

AR
Rewards help students remember the classroom rules and manners. One way to reward the whole class after they complete a task is to keep a small gamball machine in a classroom and when you want to give the class reward, give each student a penny so that they can get a serving of small candy. Another great reward is bookmarks and posters. If the whole class does great on a test give them extra time at recess or some free time in class to do whatever they want. Parties are also an excellent way to reward students, and they will try extra hard so that they will be will able to have a party. Giving the whole class rewards instead of always singling out individuals students will help all the student's selfconfidence.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Connoisseur

New York
Reading Interventionist
I like having a little bit of all three, whole class rewards, table points and individual rewards. I have a marble jar and a tally chart (scoreboard) for our Power Teaching thing in the classroom which works great! I also have a table reward system and an individual reward system. I just feel like it is important for students to learn that sometimes a classroom community have to work together and take responsibility for each other. But I also feel like the students should understand that they are not "always" responsible for the actions of their peers. I just think it is unfair to make some of my top students who are always on track, suffer because of two or three students. So everyone knows that they can earn a big reward for the whole class and small rewards for themselves. It encourages teamwork and encourages self-esteem.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Companion

Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
I spell out positive sentences one letter at a time when I see everyone displaying a positive behavior. When we spell the sentence, they get the reward. Sentences are things like, "We can follow the rules." "We can work together." "We can be good friends." etc. I diecut the letters and hang them around the room. As the kids earn rewards, I am also adding to my decorations! The reward in my class is eating lunch in the classroom. The kids absolutely love it.

Tags
class, reward, system