A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Companion

Portland, Oregon
Show and Tell... ideas?

I am a first year teacher teaching first grade. I am trying to find a solid way of doing show and tell. I tried to get ideas through the search engine on here, but didn't really find much.

Currently, I have the student stand at the front of the class to show their item and tell about it, then the teller gets to choose 3 people's questions and after that, they walk around the room showing it to people who didn't get to see. This takes way too long. I'd really love to have one show and tell per day (I think I'll make a chart) and have it last no more than 5 min max.

I don't want to let them walk around to the other 25 students desks anymore, so how can I do it so that everyone gets to see the item and it moves along faster???

Ideas?

Thank you so much!

Stephanie

Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Rookie

Art Teacher
Well, being a high school art teacher, i've never done a show and tell... But i remember when i was in first grade, my teacher had a show and tell where everyday a different student would bring something in, several items if they wanted. We had to bring something that started with a specific letter. The first student had to bring A, the second had to bring B, and so on. However, they had to keep the item concealed, and had to give clues to the class about what it was until they guessed it.

I only remember this because i had the letter C, and i brought in a brass kettle.

I remember having a lot of fun with it.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
I do a show and share during snack time. Multi-tasking is the way to go! One student gets a turn each day, and I send a calendar home at the beginning of each month (sometimes I have to double-up, but no big deal).

While everyone is eating their snack the show and share person reads three clues about their object (they fill the slip out at home). They call on 3 people to guess what the item is. After it is revealed, 3 people get to ask a question. After that, I say, "Thank you for sharing. Please put it in your backpack." They know that if they want to see it more closely later they can ask at recess or after school. The entire process doesn't take any longer than 5 minutes most days.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Phenom

Midwest
When I taught I only did show & tell for the first couple months. I know they did it in K. I did find it to be a great ice breaker & we did have them bring something that would go along with what word family we were going over or something. I would give them a few mins to say what it was & then 3 questions were asked. If it wasn't a question(starting with Who, what, etc) also if it was a repeated question we moved on. I know that sounds mean, but we were working on how to ask questions & listening. '

I'm going to say we didn't do show & tell all year & it didn't seem to be a big problem.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Companion

New Jersey
1st Grade Teacher
I strongly recommend looking into Responsive Classroom's morning meeting format. Within that format, they give time for "sharing" and it's really been a useful format for me. Before I started using it, I HATED share time but now it's actually a part of my day that I enjoy.

Basically, I have a sharing schedule that I follow. Each day I have two kids share something - not THINGS but something that has happened to them that they want to talk about - i only let them share things on very special occasions. Early in the year i teach the class how to make comments and ask questions appropriate for the share they heard. They learn the format and it pretty much runs itself. It looks something like this:

Me: Ok, *insert sharer's name here,* when your class is listening to you, you may begin

The sharer then talks about their share. When finished they say, "I'm ready for comments and questions"

Sharer then calls on three students. They are only to ask questions or make comments ABOUT the sharer (so no one can take it over by saying "Oh, I've done that too!")

Once three questions have been asked the sharer says, "That was three. Thank you!"

Me: "If you had a connection with that share, you may show the sharer now." (At this time my students give a signal that shows that they have something in common with the share).

It takes about 5 minutes tops and the kids love it!

It's hard to explain briefly, but if you look up responsive classroom's sharing, you'll get a lot more information. It tells you how to teach it to your class, and it really works. :-)
Old 01-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Comrade

California
1st Grade Teacher
My "sharing time" as I call it, lasts about 5 minutes a day and that's with up to 4 students sharing. Normally, I don't get all 4 students to share since I don't make it a requirement for them. I assign 4 students each day of the week for a total of 20 students, so they each have an assigned day. Pretty much, they go up front and say one or two sentences about what they brought and ask for questions. This year, I brought it down to 2 questions each since 3 takes up too much time. 2 questions is working for me. My sharing time goes pretty smoothly.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Companion

Pennsylvania
2nd Grade Teacher
I went through the same process of trying to figure out how to do show and tell last year. Even though I teach second and I figured that my students would be out of that stage where they wanted to do S&T, I found that they expected it. I tried different things and eventually arrived at what works for me: one student is on the calendar each day to show and tell, and I allow them to talk briefly about what the object is and why they brought it in. Then they get to call on three students who have questions. Afterwards, they do a quick walk around the room in which everyone gets to see the item. I stress that this last part is only a very brief look and that there is no touching or trying out involved in the looking, which cuts down on the time involved for sharing. This only takes about 5 minutes usually, and the students all really enjoy being the kid who gets to share something and also just having this little break at some point in the day.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Companion

Portland, Oregon
so... it seems that most of you don't allow your kids to do the "walk" around the class to show each student. That seems to be where most of my time gets eaten up. I think I'm going to have to put an end to that as well. My class is just too wild for me to let them do this.

Thank you!
Old 01-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Comrade

Oregon
4th Grade Teacher
I have a table where they place their shared item after they are done showing it. Kids can go look at it later if they want to or sometimes I let kids stay and play with the items during recess if they would like. Also, we sit in a circle for sharing and that way more people can see better because everyone is really close.

Tags
ideas, show