A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 01-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
I HATE Best Buy's Geek Squad!

I had quite an ordeal dealing w/ the Geek Squad!

Took tower to GS to transfer saved Outlook Express emails onto a CD-ROM. That's all I needed. I it in on a Mon thinking it could be done right then, but told it would tk 4-5 days or less. I said that's fine. Got called on Sat night saying it was ready. The soonest I could get it was the following Mon in which I still had to wait another 30 min in the str because the tech guy still had to "do something". When it was ready, I asked him if we could check it together right then to mk sure it's been fixed correctly. He wouldn't go over it w/ me & said everything was fine.

Went hm, checked it & I didn't see anything, so went right back that day & brought my laptop this time so whatever had to be fixed could be done on my own computer right then. Had to wait another 30 min. Guy still couldn't fix it & I had to pay $99.99 up front on the 1st Mon w/o even knowing if they could fix it (dumb policy!)

He said he did all he could & told me to call Microsoft. I went hm again & Microsoft, as you may or may not know charges $59.99 + tax to fix problems. Thankfully, they were able to fix it, so I had to pay another almost $65.

I called Best Buy to complain because what the guy did wasn't worth $100 since he couldn't ultimately fix.

In the end, the mgr gave me a... $40 gift crd ...said he couldn't actually refund anything.

This isn't the last of this. I'm planning to contact the corp ofc!

(I already had to end up buying a new computer!)

Old 01-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
Geek Squad is (usually) terrible! My husband has a computer repair business and makes most of his money correcting their mistakes!

BTW, HAPPY BDAY!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Comrade

My own little world.
LTS LA/SS
I agree! Geeksquad is pretty useless. Always go to a local guy - Hell I trust some of the kids i teach more than i would geeksquad. If you have a real IT group at your school ask them if they could work on it. If they dont know they will at least be able to direct you to someone.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Connoisseur

Midwest
1st Grade Teacher
The next time go to your local high school and ask a computer teacher to recommend a reliable student to fix it. My son is a senior and has fixed many computers because he likes to tinker around with them. He has saved my friends and family members lots of $$$$ and although he doesn't charge anyone anything they often slip him a few bucks.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
Actually, I orginally took my tower to another repair person, who for some reason could transfer everything, EXCEPT the emails! So I paid $210 prior to the GS & Microsoft! I'll never go to that other repair place again either.

BTW, thanks for the birthday wish!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Comrade

My own little world.
LTS LA/SS
Try searching for it on the webs... really that doesn't sound like a hard problem, you may have to export them and then put them on a cd.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. I View Post

BTW, thanks for the birthday wish!
You're welcome!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Connoisseur

parent
Geek Squad is well known amongst IT professionals for being essentially incompetent. I would advise strongly against ever letting them touch your computer.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

Arizona
Retired middle school shop teacher
May I suggest Kim Komando http://www.komando.com/ she Has a weekly radio show and has a lot of "How to" pages She just covered Outlook Express email Transfers in the last 2 weeks

and she is an ASU grad. too

I'm A Curmudgeon with Panache
Grandpa: The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Retired Shop teacher, 35 years
Old 01-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Multitudinous

Texas
MsI-I understand the feeling!! I took my laptop to Geek Squad to get help with pop up windows. The guy said I had a virus and 2 trojans, which would cost $199 to scan and clean them out. DH has a friend that said what they would have done would be just to uninstall Windows and reinstall it. Guess how much Windows cost? $199!!

Tags
buy, geek, hate, squad