A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Fourth Grade

Old 01-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Newcomer

Indiana
4th Grade Teacher
Division enrichment for bored students?

I'm currently teaching division to my fourth graders. In particular, we're focusing on expressing and interpreting remainders (up to 3-digit numbers). My class is very black and white on this area... I'd say about two thirds of my class doesn't get it at all, and the other third understands it perfectly and is ready to move on. I'll be spending more time with the strugglers to review and reteach it until it makes sense to them. However, the poor advanced kids who understand it all are bored out of their minds! We are using the Everyday Math textbook series, which is working well for the students, but EM provides no resources for enrichment or advanced learning.

I'd like to split math into two groups. While I'm teaching one group, the other group is working on individual work. Then they switch and I work with the other group. I've done this before in a multi-age classroom and it worked well. With the lower group, I'll be working straight out of the book for the most part. However, I'm at a loss as to what I can do with the higher group to keep them interested and engaged. Any ideas?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Newcomer

providence, ri
5th Grade Teacher
Im having the same problem. I am just starting to tier my math lesson and teach 3 groups. My 2 lower groups are direct instructed but I would like to enrich my high ones. Right now I'm thinking math can be split for them, the first half of the class they can do math practice, a page from the text...the second half problem solving, and I'm trying to come up with some projects or higher concept assignments...

Tags
bored, division, enrichment, students