A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 01-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Data Wall

So does anyone else have a "Data Wall" in their school. This is our administration's new directive. Test scores from each classroom ( I assume a class percentage - like 90% of Ms. P's class passed the TAKS practice test and not individual test scores for confidentiality sake) will be posted on a bulletin board in the hallway. I know this is supposed to be some sort of incentive for teachers and students to work harder, but I'm skeptical. What I think will happen is parents will start comparing teachers based on scores and teachers will resent each other even more for their success or failure. I know some of our 1st year teachers are already feeling a lack of confidence.

And I just hate having to submit percentages and grades in early childhood, when our report cards and gradebook are both based on a 1, 2, 3 system (whether they have mastered the objective or not). They do that because they think it's too early to subject kids to the grading system-damaging to self-esteem, etc. I have to keep 2 grade books, one "official" printed with the Kinder system and one to record weekly percentage grades for our administration.

Anyone have a public data wall at their school and does it help achievement at all?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Comrade

Upper Elementary Teacher
I agree that this is not a good idea. Making that data visible for all to see is only going to create problems, not solve them.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Wow... what a waste of time and paper...
Old 01-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Companion

Suburban Altanta
6th Grade Teacher
My school has one. As a first-year teacher, I was skeptical. My first quarter test scores were significantly lower than the other teachers', and I was incredibly humiliated (so were my students).
Instead of griping about it, I decided to make it something positive.
My students and I worked very hard last quarter to raise our scores, and when the results came in a few weeks ago, My students' scores were above the school's average! The data wall worked as a source of encouragement for my students and I. Our goal this year is to be the best of the best, and the data wall serves as a great motivational tool.
The school is just trying to keep us accountable for what we are doing each day in the classroom. I can't fault them for that. And if I'm not positive about the decision, I'll just be miserable and whiney.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Comrade

Georgia
Kindergarten Teacher
We have a data wall in our school for our pre and post test scores. Each classes percentages are shown but the name of the teacher is not. This way people looking at it don't know what teacher only made an 85% on their post test scores and everybody else made a 99%. Overall, the wall doesn't do much but look like a pretty bulletin board.

Tags
data, wall