A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Second Grade

Old 01-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Companion

CA
2nd Grade Teacher
Student with a bad attitude

What do you do with a student who just has a bad attitude? He is general whines and complains he does things like when I'm reading the class Despereaux and when I come to the part where I stop for the day some kids go "awh don't stop yet." And he always says things like "Yeah I hate that book." I've been ignoring him since the start of the year but he has kicked it up a notch since the winter break.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Connoisseur

Houston, Texas
Self-Contained K-4 EBD
Maybe turn it around on him a bit in a way...for example...after you've finished reading a chapter, ask the class for a show of thumbs up or down in regards to whether or not they enjoyed the chapter. Before starting this routine, discuss with the class about how everyone can have their own opinion of the book and it's a good thing to share your opinions with others when the time is appropriate.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
What do mom and dad say? Is there anything going on at home-- dad away, mom and dad fighting, a new baby? Any of those could account for him trying for any attention he can get, even negative attention.

Was he like this last year? What does his 1st grade teacher say? Did she come up with any coping strategies that helped?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen View Post
What do you do with a student who just has a bad attitude? He is general whines and complains he does things like when I'm reading the class Despereaux and when I come to the part where I stop for the day some kids go "awh don't stop yet." And he always says things like "Yeah I hate that book." I've been ignoring him since the start of the year but he has kicked it up a notch since the winter break.
He may not really understand the book. I'm sure he doesn't hate it, he seems to have a self-image problem. There are underlying reasons for tuning out, for complaining and whining. Does he feel like a failure in your room? Seems like he is looking for connection and meaning- you've said that you've been "ignoring him since the start of the year"...what if you gave him some positive attention instead of ignoring him?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Hmmm...

Try to catch him doing something the right way. For instance: sitting nicely in his chair, raising a quiet hand, answering a question using a complete sentence, turning in his homework on time, walking instead of running, etc. Then say something like, "Wow, I love it when Billy ______________ (fill in the proper statement)." Or, "Thank you, Billy, for _____________ (fill in the proper statement)" When you use those types of statements (and give him lots of praise), all eyes will be on Billy, and he'll feel very special because others are seeing what a great job he's doing (and hopefully, they'll model his behavior).

I know this is all easier said than done. I've had lots of of kids like "Billy" over the past three years, so I know it isn't easy.

Also, try talking to mom and dad to make sure that they're on board, too.

I hope this helps!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Companion

PA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTeacherGuy View Post
Hmmm...

Try to catch him doing something the right way. For instance: sitting nicely in his chair, raising a quiet hand, answering a question using a complete sentence, turning in his homework on time, walking instead of running, etc. Then say something like, "Wow, I love it when Billy ______________ (fill in the proper statement)." Or, "Thank you, Billy, for _____________ (fill in the proper statement)" When you use those types of statements, all eyes will be on Billy, and he'll feel very special because others are seeing what a great job he's doing, and they'll model whatever he's doing.

I know this is all easier said than done. I've had lots of of kids like "Billy" over the past three years, so I know it isn't easy.

Also, try talking to mom and dad to make sure that they're on board, too.

I hope this helps!

I agree!! I have a kid like this in my class this year (and he is a handful). He says hurtful things to other students, moans and groans if something doesn't go his way, throws all out fits over trivial things, etc... In my opinion, he is looking for attention and he will take the negative if he has too. But, I do not allow it. I am constantly looking for anything that he is doing right and then praise him for that. I have noticed that he will work a little harder because of it. Now, granted, he still tries my patience every day!! But, I know that I will get what I want out of him if I recognize the good things he does, rather than constantly correct the bad.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Companion

CA
2nd Grade Teacher
I have not spoken with the parents yet. I will do that. The book thing was just an example of one thing he does (most common complaining). He complains about everything even the toys in the prize box I have, he has since the start of the year. Obviously ignoring him is not working because 1/2 way into the year he is still complaining. I guess I do need to be more mindful of positive ways to redirect his complaining.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Phenom

Little twit. There may very well be something going on at home.

Those kids are tough, kill him with kindness. Ask him to recommend a book next time.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Novice

I agree. I have twins in my class (their mom left the family) they test me constantly. They try to sing whil I read, make noises during tests, etc. I am usually pretty strict with my kids, but sometimes, they don't even care. It is hard when all of the other kids are saying good things and theya re so nrgative, it starts to drag us all down. One of my reward programs is a raffle ticket. each month I buy something really cool . This month is a vioce changer that makes 100 different voices. I knew my boys would love it. Every time I catch them even doing the slightest thing right I just give them a ticket. Sometimes i just whisper to them "Thanks for getting your book out right away". it works. I've already made it a point to tell the whole class that I may give tickets at any time to anyone for many different things. Sometimes when I'm really busy, i slack on monitoring them all the time and I see them slip again. I also fill a jar with candy and I let them get a guess at the amount. Every 3 weeks or so the person closest wins. The twin boys love candy, so I know this will help. In my treasure chest I have stuff that I know they like -star wars puzzles, etc. Since have been concsious of what they like and trying to quielty reward them, I have seen a huge difference. It is still a daily battle, but I definetely see a difference.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Companion

East Coast
Primary Elementary Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
What do mom and dad say? Is there anything going on at home-- dad away, mom and dad fighting, a new baby? Any of those could account for him trying for any attention he can get, even negative attention.

Was he like this last year? What does his 1st grade teacher say? Did she come up with any coping strategies that helped?
I completely agree with Alice. second graders these days have A LOT to deal with. i found that talking to the kids is helpful because you never know what life at home is like.

for instance, i had one little girl who was constantly rolling her eyes, sucking her teeth at me and being mean to other kids. turns out her mom was only 22, had six kids, no job and they were struggling to survive. the girl was sharing a bed with her mom and two sisters and whenever mom's "boyfriend" would come over, the girl and her sisters had to sleep in the living room on the floor on pallets.

so the girl was always tired at school, which resulted in her having a bad attitude and being cranky. she also had low self esteem.

she wasnt a perfect angel by the end of the year, but knowiong where she was coming from really helped me reach her to the best of my ability instead of just sending her to detention the way all her other teachers did when she started acting up.

Tags
attitude, bad, student