A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Companion

Louisiana
Daily Parent Communication Journal

I have a parent that would like to communicate with me daily about things that are going on in the classroom. I was wondering if anyone had a template the I could use to do this. Im not sure if I want to do a journal type format or use a calendar and just jot down notes. I need room on the page for both my comments and hers. If anyone has any ideas, let me know! Thanks!

Old 01-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Aficionado

North Carolina
4th Grade Teacher
How noble of that parent...to want YOU to do all that work! I'm all for teacher/parent communication, but this is asking a lot. I'd have to say "No thanks" to this wonderful helpful suggestion. I can't imagine having time to read and respond to 20-25 daily communication journals...in third grade. And I bet this parent will always have some question or concern...daily...and then will use what you write as fuel for more questions and concerns.

Sorry. I'd pass.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Novice

East Coast
3rd Grade Teacher
Why is this parent requesting this daily journal? Unless this is mandated for a child's IEP I would not be doing it. I would have her look at the curriculum guides if she wants to know what was, is, and will be taught. Did her child's previous teacher/teachers do this?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Cohort

Arkansas
Elementary
I had a parent ask for daily comunication also one time. I dreaded it at first but it actually ended up being a good thing for all. We used a regular spiral notebook and just jotted down things underneath each other's writing until we filled the page and then moved to a new one. It worked great.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Aficionado

Upper Elementary Teacher
I'd prefer to do via email than a hand-written journal, which would probably not end up at in the parents' hands most of the time any ways.

My suggestion is this (and this is something we do with one of our students):
~ Send him or her home with a homework sheet that you double check over to make sure they understand that they need to do.
~ Leave a space after each day to write a comment or two if there was an issue or if they did something really well.
~ The parent should initial it every night to make sure they're seeing it.
~ BIG problems will have you personally contacting the parent either email or phone call (a call is preferred in these types of situations).
~If they're missing something the next day, circle it in red pen and tell them they have to have their parents sign next to it to see that they did not do their HW. They should stay in that day from recess to do it.

I don't think a parent would really need anything more than this. If there's a problem, reassure them you'll contact them right away. However, as long as the student is doing his or her work in the class and is completing their homework, there is NO reason to be spending your prep time journaling for a parent who might read it for 2 seconds and be done with it. If she complains, let her know that you simply do not have the time to write out the whole day~ a brief summary of what's need from home is provided, a comment or two should appease them on how their child did that day.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Connoisseur

Illinois
1st Grade Teacher
Daily?!? I mean, I'll write a spontaneous note back to a parent, or a quick note in the child's planner if I need to communicate something, but daily?! I do send weekly folders with a form that communicates:
Date (Friday's date)
Behavior (excellent, satisfactory, needs improvement or unsatisfactory - based on the number of card changes that week)
Academics (check, check plus, check minus)
Homework (on time/complete - check, check plus, check minus)
Notes (just a quick thing, like "_____ did really well on his Chapter 3 math test," or "_____ is struggling to read sight words. Please practice her sight words from her word ring")
Parent signature

I change them each quarter and file them in the child's records.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Devotee

Northern New Jersey
On a mission for fairness
I think it is reall noble to have that much communication. However, i agree that it is hard to do.

If I had to though, I would probably just do a spiral notebook with enough room to give a quick comment, and call it a day.

I would also make it the student's responsibility to bring you the notebook at the end of the day for you to write in it. If I had the notebook on my desk, I am sure it would get lost or forgotten. I would put the onus on the student.

GL! I bet the parent will love hearing good news from you each day! I know as a parent I would love it, my daughter's teacher is a little lacking in the communication department.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Habitué

USA
Teacher... someday : )
Two years ago, we did a communication journal for one of the Kindergarten kiddos in my enrichment class. We just had a plain notebook and every day it went between his real K class, us, and the parents. It ended up being a wonderful thing for the child and really helped his behavior problems go away. It was time consuming but I think it was worth it for the kid. But on the other hand, we only had 15 kids so with a larger class it may not work.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
My son's teacher has a classroom behavior plan. He makes up a calendar each month and puts the 4 levels inside each box.

*If School Name Hero" is circled then the child had a good day.
*If only one warning is given and it isn't serious, the teacher just circles it.
*If it is anything more than that, the teacher circles it and jots a quick note about why.
*If it is serious, I get an email.

He told parents that if nothing is circled that means the child didn't circle it and the child had a good day. He tells them all to circle their appropriate level. He only checks the ones that do not have "School Name Hero" on it. He checks to make sure it is accurate and to jot down any needed notes. That way he doesn't have to fill out each and every one.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Companion

Louisiana
I am just going to do it for this one parent. For some reason, the daily behavior chart and homework chart is not enough. Without giving too many details, she feels that there is not enough communication between us. So....I am going to do this journal thing. I think I am going to do the spiral notebook, and just jot down some things. I do think I am going to let the student be in charge of bringing it to me at the end of the day to make sure I don't forget it. It is going to be a pain, but it is much better than some alternatives (i.e. coming to my room every day!!).

Tags
communication, daily, journal, parent