A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 11-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Rookie

Florida
Teaching Two-Digit Multiplication

I'm wanting to reinforce multiplying two-digit numbers with my fourth grade students. It's just not "sinking" in. They do great in their math centers but when it comes time to take a quiz or a test their minds run blank. Could anyone offer some creative ideas on how to teach the concept? Any tips or tricks? Thanks!!!

Ryan

Old 11-11-2004, 01:16 PM
dorn27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan O.
I'm wanting to reinforce multiplying two-digit numbers with my fourth grade students. It's just not "sinking" in. They do great in their math centers but when it comes time to take a quiz or a test their minds run blank. Could anyone offer some creative ideas on how to teach the concept? Any tips or tricks? Thanks!!!

Ryan
Do they seem to have the 'long' part of it down in the centers? Better put in this problem 24X32 do they understand that after completing 2x4 and 2x2, then they must move to 3x4 and 3x2? Maybe another walk through would be in order, have the kids guide you through a problem on the board (or carpet or whatever group method you use). Also are the problems you give them in centers similar to those on the test? I would assume your tests are very much just 'solve for the answer' but perhaps your center questions are not. Maybe combine using both real world examples and straight forward math in both centers and the test.

Hope that helps, best I can do as a pre-service teacher.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:29 AM

Louisiana
4th Grade Teacher
It's a simple trick, but when I do 2 step mult. I have my kids turn their paper sideways. It gives them columns to put their numbers in. That way it's easier for them to keep their numbers lined up (one of the big problems my kids usually have). Just out of curiousity, is 2 step mult a mastery skill for you? We introduce it in 4th grade, but we don't have it for mastery.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Companion

California
I was just getting ready to offer the same advice when I scrolled down to ChristyF's post. It's amazing how much it helps to turn the paper sideways -- I always used this trick when kids were having trouble with multiplication or long division.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Habitué

WA
3rd Grade Teacher
Have you ever heard of lattice multiplication? It is really easy and the kids get it. It is really hard to explain how to set it up, but I found a great website and have listed it below. Hope it helps!

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52468.html
Old 11-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Companion

South Carolina
Smile Multiplication

I agree with the latice multiplication. IT REALLY WORKS. Students don't have to remember to add in any regrouped numbers. My resource children were able to multiply two and three digit numbers using this method. When it came time for the test they asked if they could use it and I told them "You can use whatever method you like just as long as you show your work and get the right answer." Also turning the paper helps a great deal too!

Tags
multiplication, teaching, twodigit