A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Devotee

Florida
combo K/1st
What order do you teach sight words?

The Dolch list is in abc order. Wondering what order you actually teach sight & high frequency words? How many per week?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Novice

Florida
Kindergarten Teacher
I use sight words that I pulled off line from our Florida literacy website. This website provided me the top 300 sight words that enable children to read 60% of all written material. I only have a class of 9 students in a private school, so I'm probably not much help... Our public school district recommends 18 words for kindergarten. (These are not dolch). My students have learned 70 in the first 1/2 of kindergarten, and we learn approximately 6 per week.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Habitué

WV
Kindergarten Teacher
What series do you use? Our reading series (Scott Foresman - Reading Street) addresses 2-3 words every 2 weeks. Obviously some of the children learn more but I formally introduce two/three every other week. We start with the and little. a, I, am, can, to, have, see, for, she, he, look, with, etc. I think it's important to first introduce words that don't have the same number of letters or begin with the same letter. Most of my children didn't understand why he couldn't be little. They didn't get the entire first letter first sound at the beginning of the year. Also, you want to choose words that you can use to find short books and dictate sentences. I am little. was my children's first dictated sentence and they were so proud! Soon I begin adding number and color words. My children now know 25 high frequency words. I also send home word rings with the words for the children to practice at home.

I spend a lot of my reading time doing sounds and letters. I think it is most important for the children to be able to decode. If they leave my class knowing all their sounds and letters and 50or so high frequency words I feel they are ready for reading in first grade! I hope this helps!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:24 AM
Rookie

VA
Kindergarten Teacher
Our students are required by the district to learn 100 sight words in kindergarten. I have to use the district list but can do it in whatever order I feel I need to. I start off with the color words because we are teaching colors, though they are long and difficult it seems to help to get them from the beginning. Then I go back to the shorter words and move up from there. I like to group words together that can make a sentence (when I introduce the word "I", I also introduce "see" and "a" because we can use this as a sentence and they can use that in centers to write). I introduce 3 to 4 a week at the beginning the 4 to 5 a week by the second nine weeks.

I am curious what others think about sight words. I taught first grade using Reading Street and they had an ample amount of sight words to learn - I thought it was enough to help them read but not too much. My daughter is in first grade this year and she has to learn over 300 sight words this year. Just curious what the thoughts are out there about memorizing so many words.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Companion

Georgia
Preschool Teacher
In the beginning of the year, we did ABC order, but words that were close together confused them a bit (like the words it, is, in). Now we mix them up.

After Christmas we started doing 10 words a week (5 new, 5 review) but in the beginning we only did 5.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Companion

Georgia
Preschool Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtoteach View Post

My daughter is in first grade this year and she has to learn over 300 sight words this year. Just curious what the thoughts are out there about memorizing so many words.
300 sounds like a lot, but the more she knows the better reader/writer she'll be.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Novice

Florida
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtoteach View Post
Our students are required by the district to learn 100 sight words in kindergarten. I have to use the district list but can do it in whatever order I feel I need to. I start off with the color words because we are teaching colors, though they are long and difficult it seems to help to get them from the beginning. Then I go back to the shorter words and move up from there. I like to group words together that can make a sentence (when I introduce the word "I", I also introduce "see" and "a" because we can use this as a sentence and they can use that in centers to write). I introduce 3 to 4 a week at the beginning the 4 to 5 a week by the second nine weeks.

I am curious what others think about sight words. I taught first grade using Reading Street and they had an ample amount of sight words to learn - I thought it was enough to help them read but not too much. My daughter is in first grade this year and she has to learn over 300 sight words this year. Just curious what the thoughts are out there about memorizing so many words.
I am a kindergarten teacher, and we started out learning six words per week, and are now learning ten words per week. My students have learned approximately 80 words now. My goal is for them to know 300 sight words prior to first grade.

I have a list of 300 sight words that encompass 60% of all written material.

My class has only 9 students in private school with awesome parental participation regarding homework skills and studying. Without this, I am sure that accomplishing this would be extremely difficult.

I think 100 by the end of kindergarten and 300 more for first grade is great !! Given the correct words, this can enable your daughter to become an fantastic reader.

My students have also learned via phonics CVC words, long/short vowel combinations, blends, etc. All of my children except one can read and comprehend Magic Treehouse Books. The one child I have takes a little longer to learn everything, but still has learned almost 50 sight words, and most everything else.

You are very lucky... in our public school district, our students are expected to know 18 sight words in kindergarten... ewwww....
Old 01-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Companion

Georgia
Preschool Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinder Preppie View Post

I have a list of 300 sight words that encompass 60% of all written material.
Could you share this list?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Novice

Florida
Kindergarten Teacher
Sight Word List

Quote:
Originally Posted by kteachone View Post
Could you share this list?
The website for these 300 words is:

http://www.fcrr.org/Curriculum/pdf/G...inal_Part4.pdf

Please go to page 152 to find the beginning of these words.

I hope this helps...
Old 01-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Companion

Georgia
Preschool Teacher
Yes! Thanks!

Tags
order, sight, teach, words