A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 12-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Companion

any parent christmas gift ideas..not an ornament

We have already done two ornaments and now need to come up with a parent gift from the preschooler..looking for something cute thats not an ornament..any ideas

rose

Old 12-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Groupie

New Hampshire
I haave a couple of ones I've done in the past that I can share;

1) I ordered some small wooden trays from oriental trading, they were like 10 bucks for 12 or something like that. anyway, I let the kids paint them with regualr tempra paint and then sprinkle glitter on all over it. I took their picture and got them developed in 3.5 x 5 size at walmart and then laminated the photos. After that I glued them to the bottom of the tray and then spray shallaced the whole thing. I bouth a bag of hery kisses and a bag of hershey hugs and let each child sort out like 10 or 20 of each. They put them in the tray and we wrapped them and put a little card that I made up on my computer that said something cute about them giving mom and dad hugs and kisses for christams this year.

2) I went to the jewlery departments and stores and asked them for their empty ring boxes (the white cardboard ones) and they gave them to me for free. I let the children decoupage them with with tissue paper and then I took their pictures. I printed them up as contact prints (a bit bigger than locket but you can do what ever size that fits in the box you have.) I let the kids take turns with my heart shaped hole punch and they punched out hearts of different colors . I glued their picture inside the box on the bottom and they sprinkled the hearts in there, then we put the cover on and tied it with a ribbon of their choice. I found a poem that goes with it (I can't remember the whole thing right now but I could look it up for you) that talks about it's a very special gift for you, but you must keep it tied. When ever you feel lonely, hold it close, it's filled with love inside . . something like that. Then i bought the small white gift bags form Walmarts craft department (10 for 4.99 for the larger ones) and let the kids sponge stamp them to decorate them. by putting the picture inside, if the parent should open it, it really is filled with "love"---

3)I bought wooden block picture holders from oriental trading (less than 15 for 12) , I let the kids paint them however they wanted and then I took their picture and had it developed at walmart and stuck it in the holder (black wire shape sticking out of the top of the block) and agian let the children decorate gift bags

4) mini french memo boards. I bought the corkboard squares and took in a bucnch of christmasy print fabric i had and let them choose what fabric they wanted. I precut quilt batting and they glued it onto the cork square. Then I let them help me staple the fabric on (they put their hands on top of mine and helped me push down on the stapler). They got to pick the ribbon and the felt that I put on the back and then they made wrapping paper to wrap it in. It didn't end up costing me very uch to do this project becasue i had a bunch of fabric and ribbon at home from various projects. Again I took their picture and put it in the center of the memo board and glued a magnetic strip to the back so parents could hang it on the fridge or file cabinet or whatever
Old 12-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
This year we bought Nesting Dolls from Discount, the children talk about the Russian dolls so it fits in (plus counts as a math manip to go home-seriation). There were less than $1/child

We have had cookies mix in a jar.

One of my favs was a pretty box w/ a gingerbread cookie to represent each member of the family so that could be dog, girl, boy, mom, dad, grandpa-or just mom, boy.....what ever. That lead to a great lesson in graphing. Great. Kids helped make cookies and then the helped pack and all.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
I like the cookie mix in a jar. The dollar store has plastic Christmas jars with lids. We used M and M's instead of chocolate chips, and it was very nice. Remember to buy extra M and M's for the munchies.

One of my favorite ones is a hot pad/trivet sort of thing. I got plan white ceramic tiles (if you are lucky, you can find them at Goodwill). I bought special marking pens that work on tile, won't wash out, so be careful. I let the kids decorate them--we used stencils. Then we glued "feet" on them--I got them at the craft store.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Comrade

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
We painted the children's hands to be Santa and printed them on a square of burlap. We will mount ours on cardstock, but you could also put an embroidery hoop around each one. We include their name and year.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I like the cookie mix in a jar. The dollar store has plastic Christmas jars with lids. We used M and M's instead of chocolate chips, and it was very nice. Remember to buy extra M and M's for the munchies.

One of my favorite ones is a hot pad/trivet sort of thing. I got plan white ceramic tiles (if you are lucky, you can find them at Goodwill). I bought special marking pens that work on tile, won't wash out, so be careful. I let the kids decorate them--we used stencils. Then we glued "feet" on them--I got them at the craft store.

blue, i tried that once, but clearly didn't get the right tiles or pens. Could you be painfully explicit as to WHICH things to buy-perhaps i can redeem myself someday.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
Well, I just picked up some ceramic bathroom tiles at Goodwill. I did spend a lot on some marking pens that where guaenteed to work on tile. It has been a long time, but I would go to Home Depot and check it out. This is a great project, as it is something that the parents can really use.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:38 AM
Comrade

USA
Primary Elementary Teacher
The handprint calendar from Little Giraffes. Time consuming (I'm working on them now) but they come out soooo cute and it's practical.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
One of the things I've done for the last 3 years is have the kids make a calendar for their parents. They paint the scene that goes on top with water colors. I then laminate it, and staple a created calendar to the bottom. We wrap them and take them home the last day before winter break.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Rookie

i made a dvd imovie slideshow of all the photos i've taken of the kids this year. i hope to have enough time to burn one for each family before christmas.

Tags
christmas, gift, ideasnot, ornament, parent