A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Montessori

Old 11-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Rookie

malaysia
Montessori Teacher
how to handle "naughty" children? HELP!!!

hi, im a new montessori teacher and i have recently had two additions to my class of 4(i only had four since jan - nov). Its a mixed age class but most of the kids are 3 and 5 yrs.

The 2 new kids are twins. They're 3 going on 4yrs. They don't talk much, prefering to make sounds and point to whatever it is they want.

Also they don't listen! Despite me telling them and the whole group the ground rules during circle time these 2 just ignore me! They hardly ever sit down to listen to a story or participate in nursery rhymes. They also refuse to do any coloring. and when they take an activity they just walk off without putting it away. i've tried reminding them but they adamantly say no.

currently they're wreaking havoc in my class!

can anyone tell me how to "discipline" them? ( i don't do corporal punishment tho that is usually done in my country)

with my first four i'd tell them what they did was wrong (beating other kids) why it was wrong and then tell them to stand away from the other kids (usually at a wall or a corner) and think about it. That really worked with them. but not with the twins...

are there any other ways?

Old 11-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Companion

Casa Directress
You will have to keep with them throughout the morning and give them clear directions about what they can and cannot do. Give them positive attention for complying with your requests and do not give any attention to misbehavior. Sometimes you have to physically remove them from the situation if they are not behaving and not listening to you. Remind them in a kind but firm voice about the rules, give them a chance to comply and if they don't, they should sit at a table until they are ready to behave. Start with alot of the early practical life lessons such as preliminary activities and spoken language exercises until they are ready to show some responsibility for their work. By the way, they should not be obligated or forced to attend stories or coloring activities. Maybe they would prefer polishing wood or working with the cylinder blocks. 4 year olds love to learn numbers so introduce the sandpaper numbers to them as well. Are they interested in the sensorial materials? You do have a small group size, so this will affect the behavior of the children in the class. When you have a normalized group of 30+ children, behavior issues have a way of taking care of themselves.
Good luck.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:44 AM
Rookie

malaysia
Montessori Teacher
thanx! will try not giving attention to misbehavior.... but what do i do when they throw stuff around?? they love spooning beans from bowl to bowl but halfway thru they start pouring them onto the tray then throw them around the room. i've already tried removing it from the shelf for a couple of days before putting it back but it hasn't seemed to work...
Old 12-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

A little off center
Montessori & Orton Gillingham tutor
They need immediate consequences. If they throw beans, then the work is removed from them immediately and available to other children. I would personally remove them from all activity for a few minutes (no more than 2 or 3) and ask them to watch what other children are doing and then follow up with a "What were you watching other children do?"

The intervention and consequences need to be immediate and swift in order for them to make the connection that their behavior is inappropriate.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:15 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
Can you place them in separate rooms?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Newcomer

Virginia
Montessori Teacher
I have taught three years in Montessori I have a timeout chair and if I need to pull out a timer I do. If the children tell you no for cleaning up then sit them on the line. They will get it if you keep consistent! If they are hurting the other children I have also completely removed the child from the classroom by walking the child to the office for a time out. THis works really well if the time out or thinking chair doesn't. This child I had last year and the child graduated from going ot the office(parents )supported idea) to just sitting in the chair and watching how we do things. Tell them when they are READY to follow the class rules then they can get up. If they get up right away and go backl to misbehaving put them back in the chair and tell them they aren't ready. GOOD LUCK

Last edited by blueridgehotair; 02-08-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 03-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Newcomer

ANYWHERE USA
You know I read a Montessori teachers solution to misbehaviors that I have used with my own child in our montessori setting. She would take the misbehaving child and have them hold on to her and go with her wherever she went. To keep them at her side since they wouldn't behave. It works like a charm because no child wants to be stuck to the teacher while other kids are working , and if its a child who doesn't know how to do the work they will benefit by watching. Oh and they had to hold on to a part of her clothing while they were with her.

Tags
children, handle, naughty