A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 11-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Comrade

Nebraska
Identifying Story Characters in Kindergarten

I am going to teach a kindergarten class how to identify the characters in a story. I am planning to use the book Brown Bear, Brown Bear...I need some ideas on differentiating the independent work part. When I send them back to practice, what kind of activities should they be involved in at that level (kindergarten).

Old 11-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Phenom

I'm not sure but I am wondering if that is a good book to use. Every animal mentioned is a character. Wouldn't something with a little bit of a story be better? What I am getting at is every noun in that book is a character. Take the Three Little Pigs for example, they can learn that even though there are many items mentioned and different settings, there are still only 4 characters in the story.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I thought the same thing as Lemonhead. I would choose a story where the characters were a part of the action - any fairy tale would do. As to the independent work part - if you had a cut-and- paste activity, maybe a primary story map where they could write a few words about the characters for the more advanced level students.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Phenom

Yes or they could draw their favorite character and what relates to him/her. So if it was Jack and the Beanstalk, they could draw Jack and some beans or the giant and some gold. You get the picture.

Lemon
Old 11-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I agree, it needs to be more of a story with a limited number of characters. I would do something with matching where they match each character to something they did in the story.

Tags
characters, identifying, kindergarten, story