A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 11-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Groupie

California
Should I let my credentials expire?

The district that I am employed in hires more interns than credentialed teachers. I have an English Credential and a Special Education credential that are up for renewal by June 2011. I also am applying for a Single Subject Science Credential. I will have to get a teaching job by next year as part of renewing my credentials but I am almost sure no one will hire me. I am thinking of letting my credentials expire and applying as a Special EDucation Intern to get a job in my district. Is this a good idea or a bad idea? I am currently working as a para. I am also wondering if I could get my credential renewed by taking tutoring jobs in addition to working as a para. Advice please.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
I would never ever let credentials expire...what would it take if you let them expire and then wanted to renew them at a later time?
Old 11-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Cohort

2nd Grade Teacher
Why do you think no one will hire you? If you have a sped ed credential and science I would think you would be in demand. Have you gone through BTSA yet? I would not let my credential expire even if I didn't get a job. I think there are other avenues to clear your credential. As for your district only hiring interns, it may seem like it but with a science credential you should be seeing more doors opening up as far as jobs go.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
You worked way too hard for that credential. Don't let it expire!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Cohort

5th Grade Educator
Keep your credentials... you've paid for them with $ and hard work. Your dream job is just around the corner...
Old 11-23-2008, 02:44 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresaglass View Post
I also am applying for a Single Subject Science Credential. I will have to get a teaching job by next year as part of renewing my credentials but I am almost sure no one will hire me.
What does the bold part mean? You can't renew if you don't have a job? Is that true?
Old 11-23-2008, 03:11 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
If you're still on your preliminary credential, teresa, and haven't been able to clear it, it might be possible for you to apply for an extension: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/commission/age...2008-03-5A.pdf gives proposed legislation as of March 2008, but it wouldn't surprise me to find it implemented by now.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:21 AM
Phenom

Ohhh so she has the preliminary probably. I misunderstood. I thought she was saying she (and every teacher in her state) had to have a job at the time of renewal.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Groupie

California
I have a clear credential that I am required to renew every five years. I have to have a job to renew it. I am in California.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Novice

CA
I can't understand the reason why a school district prefer to hire an intern than a teacher with credential. It should be opposite.

I worked three years in a private school in California to substitute for student teaching, and finally got a credential in math and physics last month. You might try some private school. As long as it is accredited by WASC, you can renew your teaching credential.

Tags
credentials, expire