A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 11-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Newcomer

Division Lesson plan for 3rd Grade

Hi everyone...long time lurker, first time poster.

O.K., here is my situation...

I'm teaching a Math lesson next week and we just started Division and what not. My Math, you can say, is not my forte. I want to do a good lesson so I can finish this student teaching experience on a great note. So I come here tonight, asking for some wisdom, ideas, etc on a lesson plan idea for 3rd grade Division.

Thank you.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Aficionado

What do they already know?

Can you give out things like a box of pencils and have the kids divide them amongst the group at their table? You could do a box of anything- crackers, donuts, candy, erasers, etc.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Newcomer

Well, they have been reviewing their Multiplication facts and how it is related to Division.

So for example, 3X4= 12 then 12/4= 3 and 12/3=4, etc.

I'm kind of intimidated of asking my Master Teacher for advice, so I've been looking around websites but I haven't found much. I guess I'm not looking hard enough. =0\
Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Companion

Use counters or something else tangible and have the students show you 3x4. (Three rows of 4 or 4 rows of 3). Practice this with other simple mult. facts. Have them SHOW you what 3x4 looks like with the counters adn WRITE the number sentence on paper or a slate.

Then after they have completed a problem then turn it around. Have them then divide the counters by 4. They will physically move the counters into groups of 3. Then they will write the number sentence also.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Connoisseur

CA.
1st Grade Teacher
There is a interesting lesson from Marilyn Burns that I kind of remember... Here is what I remember Get each group of four a box of raisins have them figure out how tho divide the raisins evenly and show the left overs. Have them then write out what they discovered. I am sure that is kind of broken down but it was seven years ago I taught it.

Have them take piles of buttons or beans and a egg carton have them divide up the objects into the egg cartons and have them record all the different ways they can divide them. Reiterate that every egg spot has to have the same number as the other egg spots, if there are left overs the left overs go out of the egg carton but still are counted. Have them record the many ways they can divy them up.

Have them do that for a while then have them move towards algorythms. You can continue having them use manipulatives to begin with so they are able to kinesthetically figure out the division.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Companion

Midwest
Upper Elementary Teacher
Hi!

When I am introducing the concept of division, I use M&M's as manipulatives. I use body cutouts to represent people. I have the kids go through a bunch of examples like start with 2 friends. If you have 8 M&M's and you want to be fair, divide them up equally. Definitely STRESS the importance of making equal groups. I would do like 5 examples or so with the M&M's. If they seem ready, you can also do examples with remainders, which I call leftovers at first. However, if it is their first lesson on division, I would hold off on remainders until a later lesson. After the kids seem like they are understanding the concept with the use of the manipulatives, I make a self-made worksheet using the same vocabulary I used during the lesson and have them draw pictures to demonstrate the division problem. Finally, I tie it into writing the division sentence to match the problems we do. After the students complete their written assignment, they can snack on their M&M's. Just don't do the lesson too early in the morning, as you will suffer until lunchtime, LOL!!! This lesson is always a hit!

Tags
3rd, division, grade, lesson, plan