A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 11-11-2008, 04:48 AM
Comrade

Pre-K
"W" sitting

I have several children who prefer "w" sitting when we are on the carpet. I have read that it can be very bad for the child's hips.

I would like to give an article to each parent at p/t conferences so we can work together to break this habit.

Any one know of a good source of a parent friendly article?

Old 11-11-2008, 06:07 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Are they really sitting long enough for it to be an issue? Most preschoolers I know are on the run more than they're sitting on the floor.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Comrade

North Carolina
Pre-K Teacher
I can't pinpoint an article, but I know either a physical or an occupational therapist has told me that a child who W-sits does it for more stability because their muscles are not as strong. It provides a wider mass for them to rest their weight on. A lot of children with disabilities do this instead of sitting on their knees or sitting like a pretzel.

I'm not sure if it's bad. Do you have an p.t. or an o.t. come to your school for children with special needs? Maybe you could ask them?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast

http://www.pediatricservices.com/parents/pc-22.htm

I am a special ed. teacher so I am pretty familair with W sitting. Its common in the special needs population, but a lot of typical kids do it, too. Its not good for the hips and knees.

I couldn't find any articles aimed at typically developing kids but maybe you can modify this.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Groupie

New Hampshire
it may not be good for hips and kness for a long period of time but childrent his age shouldn't be sitting for long periods of itme either. If it's more comfortable for htem I think it's okay-- it's not liek theya re sitting like that for hours at at ime. they play on their kness too and that's not good for joints either, If it was too uncomfortable they wouldn't do it. I let my kids sit hwoever is comfortable for them as long as thery sit with their bottom on the cushiona nd ther cushion stays ont he floor we are good
Old 11-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterfallLady View Post

I am a special ed. teacher so I am pretty familair with W sitting. Its common in the special needs population, but a lot of typical kids do it, too. Its not good for the hips and knees.

I couldn't find any articles aimed at typically developing kids but maybe you can modify this.

I have had many OTs and PTs tell me that I should not allow my students to sit like this. It is a hard habit to break. I have a friend who is 38 and she still sits like this all of the time -- she is "knocked knees" (I think this is what it is called).
Old 11-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Habitué

Fifth Grade American History
ok, i have to ask - what is "w sitting"?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
Here is an article:

Old 11-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Newcomer

TX
Life Skills
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientcivteach View Post
ok, i have to ask - what is "w sitting"?
I believe it is when you sit so that you would be on your knees but your legs are out to the side and your bottom is on the floor in between.

Do a google image search on "w+sitting".
Old 11-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Rookie

MI
Preschool Teacher
I just spoke to a PT about this b/c my daughter sits like that and she said new research is coming out that it is not as bad as once previously thought. She said some PTs would disagree though but she didn't think it was a big deal. I think you'll probably find a range of opinions.

Tags
sitting