A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 10-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Newcomer

CA
How long is maternity leave?

I just got a teaching position (beginning of October) and found out that I am pregnant. This is my first child and I am planning on working as long as I can. Does anyone have any advice when I should take off for maternity, how long maternity leave is, and do I pay for the subsitute out of my paycheck? My expected due date is June 18th and the school year ends June 9, will I not have to take maternity leave?
Thank you!

Old 10-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Novice

Tennessee
This happened to me my first year! Luckily, my daughter was due when school was out for the summer. We get 6 weeks unpaid maternity leave. You use as many days as you have built up. Of course, as a first year teacher that is not many! If you go over your "sick" days, the money will be deducted from your check. At least that is what we do here. Hope this helps. Congratulations!
Old 10-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Newcomer

CA
Thank you for your reply

So every teacher gets 6 weeks, but it is unpaid - right -? So if my baby is due June 18th then I may not have to use any of the maternity leave, unless I want to take a few days off before hand? I still need to talk with my doctor to make sure that I will be able to work the duration of the year. Thank you for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by october
This happened to me my first year! Luckily, my daughter was due when school was out for the summer. We get 6 weeks unpaid maternity leave. You use as many days as you have built up. Of course, as a first year teacher that is not many! If you go over your "sick" days, the money will be deducted from your check. At least that is what we do here. Hope this helps. Congratulations!
Old 10-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Novice

Tennessee
Unless the doctor orders it, you may not have to do maternity leave. However, by the end of the year, you may be ready to!! My kids wanted me to--haha. One day during the last week of school, I noticed my kids were wearing jeans and coats--in JUne. I was having hot flashes, and had the air conditioner blowing ice cubes! Also, I was quite moody.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Check your contract. You are entitle to a certain amount according to federal regs- anything beyond that varies by district/contract. Once tenured you may be allowed to take more time off and still return to your job, non tenured there may be no guarantee if you stay out past the federally allowed time. ALWAYS read your contract, check with building/union rep if you are unsure.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Newcomer

CA
That is so funny. I really hope that I don't have to leave on maternity. I would really like to stay on the full year. Thanks for the reply. I'll keep everyone posted on my status, as I am nervous with my first pregnancy and first teaching position. What did i get myself in too? Ha! I will love it!
K
Old 10-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Connoisseur

I thought most districts gave 6 weeeks paid leave.....and anything after that came out of your sick day bank or you are deducted pay. Some districts also allow a 2 year leave (unpaid) but will give you your job back when you come back to work!
Congrats! and good luck
Old 10-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Novice

IL
Same thing happened to me this past year. My son was due and born on June 9th, our school year ended the third week in May. I was NOT allowed to take maternity leave until after the birth of our child, however, I saved up my sick days until the end of the year and my doctor wrote a note "excusing" me from work...that's the only way they'll let you take leave & I had to use my sick days. Believe me, I didn't realize how tired I was until I was off of work. It took me about a week's worth of good sleep to realized, WOW, I now have energy. It'll wipe you out that last month and you'll want the break. I would be careful though...seeing is that it's your very first year of teaching...tred carefully when you "breach"(ha, ha) this subject with your administration. Good luck & happy morning sickness!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Fanatic

Indiana
College writing, hands-on science
There is no way you can know right now how you will be feeling in the months ahead. I had my daughter two days after school was out, and I felt fine. Enormous and waddly, but fine. Other women aren't as lucky, and for their own good, and the good of their baby, they must take it easier towards the end. I had an entire month's worth of lesson plans, complete to every detail, all ready for my sub, just in case. If I were you, I wouldn't even be worrying yet about a leave. Take care of yourself, don't try to do too much, and make that decision later in the year. Oh, and congratulations! Your life will never be the same. Sleep while you can.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:51 AM
Phenom

Midwest
Same Position Last Year

I was there last year. 6wks unpaid leave from the time baby is born. You may want to check, but you may have to write a letter to the board of ed to ask for maternity leave (We did, were they really gonna say no?!?) . I wasn't due until Xmas break, but I had my baby 3 wks early. It sounds like you'll be fine, but you never know what the stresses of the end of the year could produce!!!

GOOD LUCK!!! IF I CAN HELP YOU IN ANY WAY LET ME KNOW!!!!

Tags
leave, long, maternity