A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Companion

So. California
3rd Grade Teacher
How do you teach capitalization and punctuation?

We are focusing on capitalization and punctuation as one of our essential standards this month and I'm curious if anyone has any cute ideas of how to get these conventions STUCK in a 1st graders mind. I feel like I am repeating myself over and over again...any songs, chants, great lesson plans, etc. out there?

Old 11-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Comrade

Colorado
1st Grade Teacher
We do a lot of verbal rehearsal of sentences. When they say it, they have to put their hand up in the air at the beginning to show the capital and they have to stomp and say "period!" at the end. They love it. But, you will still have to keep repeating yourself over and over. By now though, I pretty much just have to walk by and stomp and they will go "OH!" and add the period.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Habitué

2/3 Split
We look for the capital letters and punctuation marks in their guided reading books. I have them pull their book boxes to our circle. They each read their books and tally the capital letters they see. We write the words and talk about why the letters are capitalized (proper noun, beginning of sentence, etc).

Then, we look at different punctuation marks and make lists of those too.

I also have dances to Grammar Songs. They really enjoy those!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Aficionado

North Carolina
4th Grade Teacher
When we finish writing sentences, I have each student take out a red and a yellow crayon. They are to circle the first letter in each sentence with a red crayon. They do all the sentences. Then they go back and circle the period (or question mark, or exclamation point) with a yellow crayon. Every sentence needs a red circle with a capital letter in it, and a yellow circle with a puncutation mark. It does help. (Though it takes some modeling so do it together on a chart first, or some kids will circle the first letter in every WORD instead of every sentence.)
Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Companion

So. California
3rd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissR View Post
We do a lot of verbal rehearsal of sentences. When they say it, they have to put their hand up in the air at the beginning to show the capital and they have to stomp and say "period!" at the end. They love it. But, you will still have to keep repeating yourself over and over. By now though, I pretty much just have to walk by and stomp and they will go "OH!" and add the period.
Thanks I forgot about this one. I'll start doing it again tomorrow!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Connoisseur

Swamp Country
2nd Grade Teacher
Rainstorm I love the red and yellow crayons, I will adopt this in my class. Though we have been doing this since the beginning of school there are a few who still forget. However, I do think that this class is doing better than classes that I have had in the past.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
I like the idea of the red/yellow crayons. Also during one of my guided reading days with the group we spend time on guided writing. After they write their sentences, they must highlight their beginning capital letter and their ending mark.
I also bring in some oreos. We talk about how an oreo has a top, a middle and a bottom. We talk about how a sentence is kind of like an oreo. The top chocolate part is the capital letter, the creamy inside is the middle of the sentence and the bottom cookie is the ending mark. If they have all parts of the sentence, they have a yummy sentence. Throughout the year we make sure our work is full of yummy sentences. We have a laminated oreo cookie decoration labeled with "capital letter" in the top cookie and "ending mark" on the bottom cookie and the words "yummy sentence" in the middle. The oreo cookie is hanging in our room from the ceiling just as a constant reminder.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Novice

1st Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainStorm View Post
When we finish writing sentences, I have each student take out a red and a yellow crayon. They are to circle the first letter in each sentence with a red crayon. They do all the sentences. Then they go back and circle the period (or question mark, or exclamation point) with a yellow crayon. Every sentence needs a red circle with a capital letter in it, and a yellow circle with a puncutation mark. It does help. (Though it takes some modeling so do it together on a chart first, or some kids will circle the first letter in every WORD instead of every sentence.)
I do this with my kids only I use green and red. Green for capital letters at the beginning of the sentence because like a stoplight, it means GO. We use red for the periods, etc. because like a stoplight it means STOP. Using the colors on their writing helps them avoid runny mouth syndrome when they read their work aloud. My kids are much more cautious of GO and STOP colors.

Tags
capitalization, punctuation, teach