A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 10-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Comrade

Tips on teaching cause and effect...

I'm teaching cause and effect this week and this kids don't seem to be getting it... I don't know if It's me or if it's just a harder concept to learn.

Does anyone have any tips on how to teach cause and effect?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Companion

Yes! I used this little trick last year and it worked wonders!

Make a T-Chart.
Write the words because and so above the T-Chart in the center and put arrows for the according direction.

Then the students read the statements inserting the so and because. For example: Cause is "it rained" effect is "I brought an umbrella." I would write this in the -Chart and have the students read it "It rained SO I brought an umbrella." and then "I brought an umbrella BECAUSE it rained." They loved accentuating the because and so as they say it.

Example:

S0 >
< Because
Cause Effect
Old 10-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Connoisseur

Arkansas
Upper Elementary Teacher
Cut idea bb0211! I'm also teaching cause/effect this week! It is a hard skill, so just stay with it! I make sure to give causes and have them tell me the effects, but then I also gice effects and they tell me the causes. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Phenom

Nebraska
ELL
Read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie to the class. Then work together to put the causes and effects on the board in a flow chart format.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Cohort

i have them think of it as "if" "then" statements. "if" this happens "then" this is going to happen. mine got it with this. if you read "the day jimmy's boa ate the wash" it has a lot of cause and effect in it. i have a link in my ikeepbookmarks page from the readwritethink website that has a week's worth of lessons using all the jimmy's boa books. it was great!

good luck...remember to use LOTS of reinforcement!
LC
Old 10-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Connoisseur

Arkansas
Upper Elementary Teacher
Today, I listed effects and had my students find the causes. Many of them found this easier than finding the effects if the causes were listed.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Cohort

United States
3rd Grade Teacher
Start with a simple picture book like If you give a Mouse a Cookie for example.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB0211 View Post
Yes! I used this little trick last year and it worked wonders!

Make a T-Chart.
Write the words because and so above the T-Chart in the center and put arrows for the according direction.

Then the students read the statements inserting the so and because. For example: Cause is "it rained" effect is "I brought an umbrella." I would write this in the -Chart and have the students read it "It rained SO I brought an umbrella." and then "I brought an umbrella BECAUSE it rained." They loved accentuating the because and so as they say it.

Example:

S0 >
< Because
Cause Effect
I always use this! It works really well with the kids, especially if you start off with a simple picture book until they get used to it.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Florida
Demonstrate cause and effect actively - push down the first domino in a row, build a too-high tower and watch it fall, pour too much water in a cup. Then, suggest some other causes and have kids predict the effects. What would you expect would happen if I hop with a book on my head? Write my name with my eyes closed? Make it fun and silly, then move into more serious scenarios.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Companion

Virginia
6th Grade Teacher
I let go of the pencil, and then... it dropped. I demonstrate this type of thing, and then I pass out a graphic organizer with causes on the left and arrows pointing to effects on the right. I write some causes in, and I have the kids fill out the effect. They can write any effect as long as it could happen after the cause on the left. Then we do a round robin sharing of what everyone wrote after each cause. They had fun with this!

Tags
effect, teaching, tips