A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 10-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Newcomer

Please help me understand "(AP, IB, accelerated, honors, elective; 100-level, 200-lev

I'm a Chinese, teaching English in China. One of my former students is applying for An American college and has asked me to do the teacher evaluation for her, but I have trouble understanding the the level of course difficulty (AP, IB, accelerated, honors, elective; 100-level, 200-level, etc.).

Would you care to drop in a few lines to explain or paste a helpful link for me?

Many Thanks!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
Here is how it worked where I taught:

100-200-300-400 represent the grade the student is in at the time. For instance, 100 is freshmen, 200 is sophomore, 300 is junior, and 400 is senior.

Then those classes have a 1-4 as well. That is for class difficulty. 01 classes are below level students, 02 are average, 03 are above average--also sometimes called "honors", and 04 are the advanced classes which work well above grade level. They are called "AP", or Advanced Placement classes in some locations. Students can take tests for AP classes and earn college credit.

As far as electives, those are English classes that are not required for graduation. Our school required four credits of English. Those had to be in 100, 200, 300, and 400 level classes. Those are combination literature/grammar/writing classes. The electives are often "special interest" classes like creative writing or genre studies.

Hope that helped some.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Enthusiast

SoCal
High School English Teacher
IB refers to the International Baccalaureate, which is a diploma program offered at over two thousand schools around the world. Students who receive an IB diploma have completed an extremely rigorous course of study.

Tags
100level, 200lev, accelerated, elective, honors