A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 10-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Comrade

PA
preK-5 sub teacher/preK-12 sub aide
Show and Tell ideas?

I am a new teacher, teach 2.5 year olds. I like the idea of show n tell, but my first one last month was not very sucessful. I told the parents to bring pictures and anything else that their children like, a toy or something.
So, one boy brought a car, and that wasn't very bad, but another girl brought a doll and that WAS bad. Another girl wanted to play with it, too, and there was some fighting (the girl who brought the doll has a habit to hurt others). So then, I had a very hard time convincing her to put that doll back in the bag.

SO, now when I have a new show n tell on the calendar, I want to ask the parents not to send any more toys. But I am blank about what else to suggest.
BTW, my daughter attends the same preschool (and she is the same age), and I don't really know what to send for her either (except for toys, which I'm reluctant to do after my own negative experience). So, I need some ideas, please!

Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
My favorite way is to send an intentionally small box (smaller than a VCR tape box) and tell the family to include something small and write three clues about what is on the inside. Then they are focused more on the clues than the item itself. The child reads or has the clues read and the box is opened. Then the item is sent to the backpack since it is "so small we wouldn't want to lose it".
Old 10-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Novice

Preschool Teacher
Here are some more ideas: Baby picture, something from nature, piece of artwork, favorite holiday decoration, pictures from a vacation, card from a family member who lives far away, favorite picture book, etc.

BTW: I agree with NO TOYS for show & tell.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Comrade

PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaProvider View Post
My favorite way is to send an intentionally small box (smaller than a VCR tape box) and tell the family to include something small and write three clues about what is on the inside. Then they are focused more on the clues than the item itself. The child reads or has the clues read and the box is opened. Then the item is sent to the backpack since it is "so small we wouldn't want to lose it".
that's a good idea, only for older children.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Comrade

PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
Here are some more ideas: Baby picture, something from nature, piece of artwork, favorite holiday decoration, pictures from a vacation, card from a family member who lives far away, favorite picture book, etc.
I was thinking pictures should make good show n tell objecst, and
in the first show and tell I asked parents to send in pictures. Everyone did a good job sending a bunch of good pictures, however, I had a hard time getting children talk about them. I would show them their pic with grandma or something, ask them who this is, no response.

I guess I should keep trying and not be discouraged. Maybe next time they'll open up
Old 10-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Companion

PA
Preschool Teacher
You could have the S&T objects be centered around a theme, for ex. with my 4 yr olds, we do ABC show & share every Friday. The parents know to send in something for the letter of the alpha. that we're studying. I make a point of mentioning to the parents that the kids should be prepped a little bit on what to tell the class about it so it isn't just random "I brought a dog," but rather to tell us something about the object. For example, "I brought a stuffed dog for Dd. His name is _____ and I got him when I was a baby in the hospital" or something like that. Short & sweet. And then during our play time, the kids are allowed, but not required, to play with/share the object with friends, if applicable. You could have the kids bring something in that is in the shape that you're studying (circle, square, etc), in the color that you're studying, or even something seasonal. For example, on your calendar, you could write "This week's S&T theme is Fall" (transportation, community helpers, etc, etc)
Old 10-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Groupie

New Hampshire
I personally don't like show and tell- in my experience youhave some kids thtbring in fancy things and the other children who come form families without much and they don't want to do it because they don't have anything as "cool" or whatever. Ihave some kids who have never been on a vacation so they can't even bring in photos of things like that.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna9868 View Post
that's a good idea, only for older children.
Oh, sorry, my two's and threes love it. And one of the good things about the questions is that there is always someone who is going to say "I have a cat, is it a cat" at that age.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Comrade

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
I think show and tell is a good experience for both the "teller" and the audience. However, I always limit it to one child a day, who is given the Show and Tell bag, a decorated demin tote. We do show and tell at the end of the day, following a story. After everyone thanks the "teller", we look at our chart to read together who gets to take the bag home for the next school day. The item that was shown is put into a plastic bag, tied shut, and goes home with the child.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Comrade

California
1st Grade Teacher
I think show and tell is great for the kids. I work in a predominantly poor neighborhood so I don't need to worry about someone bringing a fancy item whereas someone else brings something old. I also allow my students to bring toys. If that is what is special to them, I think they should be allowed to share it. Ofcourse, I have to throw in a few reminders that pictures or books would be great as well. The students eventually get the hint and start bringing them as well.

Tags
ideas, show