A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Novice

North Carolina
AIG- 1-8
Parts of Speech Play and Running Laps??!!

Two completely unrelated topics here, but I need advice on both!

First-

Several years ago our AIG teacher taught her students a play where each of them played a different part of speech. It was fairly short and it was adorable. There was a whole story line to it and each character used the part of speech they were supposed to be. I really want to find it and put it on at school this year. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Second-

Does anyone have their students WALK laps as punishment? Most of my school does and just yesterday our principal said it is a form of corporal punishment? Making them run I can see as corporal punishment, but walking? With the new laws about giving kids 20 minutes of physical activity a day and all the healthy kids rules now, I was shocked by this. Anyone else had similar experiences? If you do, what have you done instead of making them walk laps. First offense is a warning, 2nd is Silent lunch, 3rd was SL and laps. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Companion

Northern Virginia
1st Grade Teacher
I totally did that play in 4th grade and I'm pretty sure I still have my script lying around somewhere!! It was a lot of fun. I think it was called "The case of the missing parts of speech" or something like that. I have no idea where you could find it, though.

I've never heard of walking called corporal punishment. I've heard people who say to not use it because it makes exercise look like a punishment which might discourage children to not exercise later in life. I don't make my kids do that just because it usually doesn't relate to the offense. What will walking teach them about doing their homework (or whatever else)? Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Novice

Whoville
I make mine walk because most of the time the kids who have to miss recess are the ones who need to get some energy out.

How is walking any different from what they will be doing a few minutes after their laps are over? I wouldn't use running because of asthma and just because it is more a liability, but these kids walk in the hallway, to lunch, to art, to the bathroom. Walking laps around the playground is not different.

But if your principal doesn't support it try something else. I like to have them write me a paragraph about their offense and then the steps that they would take to correct it. They ususally hate that.

Tags
laps, parts, play, running, speech