A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 09-21-2004, 05:53 PM
smilefor49

Question Eric Carle's Rooster's Off to See the World

Does anyone have a good math/language arts lesson for this book? I really want the students (1st grade) to do some independent work with this book. Any suggestions?

THank you!

Old 09-21-2004, 06:22 PM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
i am not on my own puter right now and hope someone else will put the website (linda's links to literature) for you. In the mean time here are a few ideas from the web....
Math Extensions

Rooster's Off to See the World is an engaging book that can be used for a problem-solving math activity. Read the story to your students the first time, asking them to pay close attention to the animals in the story. At the end of the story ask the children what they notice about the number of animals in the stories. Ask the children how many different animals are in the story? What are the different animals? How many cats, turtles, frogs, fish? How many all together? Introduce the concept of adding on animals as the rooster ventured further out into the world: one rooster plus two frogs and so on. Continue this process until you reach the point where all the animals have joined in the venture. The same process can be repeated using subtraction when the animals realize that they are ready to return home.

Once the children feel comfortable with the quantities discussed in the story they can begin to work on the following word problem, Marilyn Burns-style. If the rooster wanted to buy shoes for all his new friends how many would he need to buy? Invite the children to show how they solved the problem. Tell them they need to explain their work using either pictures, words, numbers, or any combination of these methods. If you are working with younger students the same results could be obtained by photocopying pictures of the animals represented in the book and having them glue the pictures on a larger piece of paper. Ask the children if they know how many feet are on their page. It is important to clarify with the children what feet are. Young children may not realize the fins on the fish are not feet! As a challenge to this activity for other students you could ask them: How many tails there are all together? How many tails and feet are there? If each animal brought a friend just like himself, how many feet would there be? How many tails? How many feet and tails all together?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:27 PM

Way down south in Dixie!
Was PreK SPE, now HS SPE.
This is from http://www.eric-carle.com/bb-rooster.html

The following are ideas for using Rooster’s Off to See the World in the classroom.

Submitted by Carolyn Boyd on July 4, 2000

I've used Rooster’s Off to See the World as a springboard for creative writing. After reading the book, I give my students the following sentence, “If I could go off to see the world, I’d go to...” The students complete the phrase with a short story of their own, then add illustrations.

Submitted by Lynn Corrie on February 17, 2000
I am a Middle School and Elementary School Art teacher in Sioux City, Iowa. For my 1st Grade collage project, I used Rooster's Off to See The World. After reading the story to my students, we spent time talking about what a collage is. Then I showed them how they could make their own rooster collages. First, each student made a pattern for the body, head, wing, and neck. They used these to trace around on sheets of sample book wallpaper. Tail feathers, feet, waddles combs, etc., were made out of construction paper for a nice contrast. They are beautiful!

Submitted by Kellie Freestone on February 25, 1999
I teach kindergarten and just had a wonderful experience with Rooster’s Off to See the World. We read the story and talked about all the animals that went with rooster. Then the children were sent to their tables with a problem to solve.... “How many animals all together went off to see the world?” The children used manipulatives or just drew pictures in order to solve the problem. It was a great problem solving activity.

http://www.scholastic.ca/booksandaut...oostersoff.htm has some ideas, too.

Lori

Tags
carle, eric, rooster, world