A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 09-19-2004, 07:57 PM
nwalker

Grade 2 Spelling Program

HelP! I am looking for ideas for my grade 2 spelling program. I really like the idea of letting the kids have individual words. My students are at such different levels, it isn't fair to make them all have the same words. Also I don't think using spelling words with not frame of reference is a way for kids to learn. I was choosing words from their work that they were having trouble with. Here is my problem. First of all managing 22 different lists...secondly...I want to teach rules, spelling patterns etc. How can I do this? I was considering having say 10 list words all the same, then 5 of their own. Any input, other ideas or anything would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Natalie

Old 09-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Habitué

WA
3rd Grade Teacher
I teach fourth grade...last year I had 5 different spelling lists in my classroom in an attempt to help those that were struggling as well as to challenge certain kids. Keeping track of that many lists was extremely difficult--I can't imagine trying to keep track of 22. What I have decided to do this year is to have one list, but I limit the number of words for those who are having troubles. I may give some of the kids the whole list, while the others may only have to focus on 8 or 10. I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks, however, many of my team members use this strategy and they say that it works pretty well. Maybe you could try this with your second graders. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Fanatic

Kansas
spelling

In our school (first, second, third and forth grades) all have individual spelling list. Teacher gives the spelling words on Monday no practice before hand. If they miss a word it goes on their list to learn for Friday. She puts a list of words on the board for students to fill out their list. She also keeps a folder with sticky note for each student and puts words for that student that the students has missed on other assignments. On Friday, teacher goes around the room says the students name, number 1, says the word, On the second student and etc, until she gets back around to first student and starts with the second word. Teachers put the spelling books on their laps and flip them up --standing up in front of their tummy. Works great. They do lots of fun spelling activities. Only twice a year they get to write their words in shaving cream....Just put a gob in the center of their desk and students smear it out and write a couple words ---teachers checks spelling. Have lots of paper towel for clean up. Write words on top of each other three times in different colors called Rainbow writing. Write words in spiral form. Write words on white boards. Write words on the sidewalk with side walk chalk...On a sheet write the ABC's along the side of the paper, than write the words on the line that start with that letter.... write words with colored pencils (buy several boxes at the dollar store, they will last for several years....write words with color crayons....write words with magic markers....Make a collage, write word 3 times on a slip of paper than glue the slips of paper on a larger sheet of paper....write words like above punch a hole in the corner and string words on a piece of yarn. Make a glue needle on the end of the yarn. Teacher dips about 3 inches of end of the yarn in while liquid glue. Hang yarn over the edge of a table to dry over night. Makes a great safe needle......Write words in sand outside or in sand on a cookie sheet. Damp sand works best......Type words on the computer.....We have excellent spellers in our school and students love spelling. For the record I am not a good speller. Petunia
Old 09-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
nwalker- I do very similar to what you are suggesting- but I have spelling volunteer parents and an aide so managing 24 individual lists is easier! Anyway, I give 7 words following a pattern and then they choose 3 from their writng that they want to work on (I circle suggeted words during editting process in Writing Workshop) Volunteers come in to work with students after I give 'pretest' (in first column of a three column page) - the volunteers give clues to the kids to help them try to spell again (2nd try for kids) and then give correct spellng in third column. On Fridays I read the first 10 words that all the kids have then they swap lists with the student across from them and give each other the remaining 3 words. I check tests. Works really well. I also do alot of word word during the week related to the spelling pattern I focused on as well as homework in spelling M-Th.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:39 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
I student-taught in 2nd grade, and our kids had 2-3 lists per week from the spelling curriculum... We gave pretest on Monday... kids that missed 0-1 (sometimes 2, depending on the student) received a "bonus" list (blue list, or list B). Kids that missed more than 4 words or so usually got an easier list (red list, or List A)... the rest of the kids were on the book list. They probably knew who was on what list, but it didn't seem to bother them...

We gave thep retest first thing Monday morning. During their free reading time immediately following, we corrected the tests and assigned lists to ourselves... During their morning special that day, we then made photocopies of both the lists and worksheet pages they'd need. (We never knew exactly which kids would be on which lists, so we couldn't copy in advance). We put their weekly lists in their mailbozes to take home. Sometimes we added science or Social Studies words that coresponded with our current units... typically, though, all the words on the lists had a similar spelling pattern common to the 3 lists.

Tuesdays, they did either a workbook page (for Book List kids) or worksheet... these took about 10 minutes, and typically worked on spelling patterns or meaning of these words.

Wednesday was "look, say, cover, write, check." They had a page with their words from their list, they look at the word, cover the flap, write it, check it, write it again, and check again... again, just got them practicing their words... When finished, this sheet was kept in their "work to finish" folder in their desks...

Thursdays we gave practice tests with partners using dry-erase boards. They got the words from the day before's activities. The teacher paired up kids (occasionally trios) by which list they were on (occasionally we'd pair kids with 2 different lists, but not often)... one kid gives the list, then they check and switch. This took about 10 minutes or so, and gave them a chance to see which ones they still needed to work on.

Friday mornings were tests. They all numbered their spelling papers when they came in; we'd simply call out names for each particular test... other kids were to be reading silently... we had them raise their hands when their test was called to be sure no one missed it. We corrected them during thier silent reading time... they graphed their results in the back of their workbooks, thenp ut them in their mailboxes to take home. We kept the pre-test during the week, but threw them out once Fridays' test was completed.

Hope that helps you!

I really like the idea of using a variety of activities... Our kids were really able ot complete all tasks without a great deal of guidance, but it would be fun to mix up the activities.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Comrade

TX/USA
Individualized Spelling

I apologize in advance for the novel, I copied and pasted this response I gave to a previous thread on individualized spelling...

I use individualized spelling lists in my third grade classroom. It takes some organization and lots of training at the beginning of the year, but it has worked very well for me. I got my ideas from the book, Word Matters - Teaching Phonics and Spelling in the Reading/Writing Classroom by Pinnell and Fountas. (Can be purchased on Amazon.com) The book has the reproducibles to use for each day's activities. Here's how I do it:

Fridays - find time for students to do a "free write" on any topic. Teacher chosen topics work best and save time. The rule is to not worry about spelling and just write whatever comes to your mind. I set the timer for 15 minutes and tell students they must fill one complete side of the handwriting paper in that time. (You could change the length as you see fit.) Before Monday I look over each paper and circle 5 misspelled words on each paper. I write the correct spellings at the top of the page. (You could choose more depending on how many words you want on each list.) For students who don't miss at least 5 words in their writing, I have a list of challenge words they can pick from.

Mondays - I give my students 5 words that will be on everyone's list. These words usually follow a pattern, like contractions, compoud words, words with a spelling rule, etc. I then give them two small index cards each. One is for home study, the other will be kept at school for practice each day. We all write the first 5 words on both cards. Then I pass out their free write papers from the previous Friday and they finish writing their last 5 words on both cards. In our left over time, students use their list and practice making each word with a box of magnetic letters. I have students put one card in their take home folders and remind them to study at home each night. The other card goes in a chart that I have laminated with little library pockets. Each pocket has a child's name written on it. I have one chart for each of my classes.

Tuesdays - Practice called, "Look, Say, Cover, Write, Check". This reproducible comes in the book named above. You will need manilla folders for this activity. This activity does just what the title suggests. Students study each work, use the folder flaps to cover it up, write it, check it and do then do it again a 2nd time.

Wednesday - Buddy Check - This reproducible comes in the book named above. Each student has a "spelling buddy". I usually assign the person sitting next to them to keep it easy. One person acts as the word giver for the other person. Person 1 takes a practice spelling test while person 2 gives them the words on their card. Person 2 checks the words and gives person 1 time to make corrections if needed. Then, they switch roles and person 2 takes the practice test while person 1 gives the words. Person 1 checks. Students discover what words they still need to work on before Friday's test.

Thursday - Making Connections - This reproducible comes in the book named above. In this activity, students have a chance to write other words that have something in common with each of the words on their list. They can come up with words that have the same beginning letter, same ending, same spelling rule, etc. This is great phonics instruction, too, because students begin to use words they already know to learn new ones.

Friday - Spelling Test - Students take the test with their spelling buddy. I have laminated together sets of 2 letter sized manilla folders for "testing folders" that students set up during their tests. This may sound scary at first, but with the proper training and close observation, you'll find it works fine. Students take turns giving each other their spelling tests just as they do on Wednesdays with the buddy check. I am constantly walking around, watching and listening. The rule is that the word giver only says the word. They can give NO hints or help. I teach my kids hand signals so that the test can be completely silent except for the sound of the word givers saying words. Thumbs up = ready for the next word. Thumbs down = not ready yet, slow down. Hand to ear = please repeat word. When both buddies have finished taking their tests, they raise their hand and I come get their tests. They sit quietly and read while waiting for everyone else to finish.
Also on Fridays, we do a "free-write" to determine individual words for the next week. (Free write explained above.)

This method of spelling instruction allows you to teach the spelling words and patterns that your curriculum requires while also allowing individual students to work on the words they do not know. If this sounds like something you are interested in, I can share with you a few tips that can help you train and get this going smoothly. Just let me know! Hope this helps (and wasn't too confusing!)

Tags
grade, program, spelling