A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 09-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 2 Other Jobs
Filing for Unemployment

Every summer, my district sends a letter stating that we can file for unemployment, BUT, does anyone file during the year if you hardly ever get called to sub?

Schools started 3 wks ago & although I know subs usually don't start getting jobs at the start due to teachers not getting sick yet or no mtgs/in-services, etc., we still need money to live on.

Let's say, as an example, you subbed only once every couple of wks. Well, certainly that's not going to pay any bills, so that shoudln't affect someone from getting unemployment money right?

What do all you subs think?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Comrade

United States
Substitute Teacher
I believe subbing is considered seasonal employment. In that case I believe you can only file during the "off-season". I am fairly certain that the unemployment folks are looking at it from that angle.

Anyone else have any insight into this?

(I didn't realize this, BTW - I will have to see if I can do this in NJ - thanks!)
Old 09-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Cohort

some where out there
Special Education Teacher
You can apply for unemployment if you are UNDER employed in california less than 30 hours a week. . .I did that for a while
Old 09-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Novice

new jersey
When I was subbing I would still file each week or whenever I didn't work too much. They give you the option of reporting the number of hours you worked and money you made. ( in nj)The amount they give you is based on that so it will not be the full amount but it's something and we all know every little bit helps.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Cohort

2nd Grade Teacher
I get those letters every year. Last year I tried to file for unemployment and they said I didn't qualify because school employees are not eligible.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Companion

The South
K-6 Gifted/Talented
I was Title 1 at my first school. I was not renewed the next year due to "low enrollment" (It was only a one year contract). I was able to file umemployment ($315/week), and if I subbed I just had to report it. As long as I didn't make over a certain amount I could still get it.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 2 Other Jobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewstart101 View Post
You can apply for unemployment if you are UNDER employed in california less than 30 hours a week. . .I did that for a while
So, you can still sub as often as 4 days a week & still be approved for unemployment? (A sub's day is usually 7 hrs, so if they sub 4 days, that's 28 hrs right under the 30 hr/wk mark). I never knew what the very minimum one could work to still be approved.

I submitted my app the other day & hv that phone interview tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully I qualify for something! Is there a key statement you guys say that usually works in your favor? I like stressing that I'm an on-call employee, so every week is completely unpredictable.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Rookie

New York
I have a question for substitute teachers in New York. Can we file for unemployment in New York City? I have heard that some subsitute teachers in New York have gotten unemployment benefits.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Comrade

I have fought EDD over this, but to no avail.

There is a specific code that states that school employees are not allowed to collect unemployment if they are "reasonably assured" of returning to work in the fall.
This is why school districts send out these reassurance notices every year to subs. It gets them off the hook.
It is not really fair because these notices do not guarantee work. They only guarantee you will be on their calling list.
A few years ago, I had a phone interview with a judge to present my case that this ruling should not apply to subs. I knew I would lose, but I wanted to make a point.
I also wrote to the EDD to complain about these inequities. I mentioned that a friend of mine is an unskilled union laborer who gets $27 per hour just to sweep floors, vacuum, and dig weeds.
He is laid off 4-5 months a year and is allowed to collect full unemployment while maintaining full health benefits.
They said they would look into it, but of course they didn't.

One of my three districts was so brazen as to reming us of all the things we don't get in order to discourage us from even trying.

This is why I contend that this is the worst job in Americas for college degreed employees.
We are a dime a dozen, so all districts know they can legally cheat us without repercussions.
No one gives a rat's ^&% about us.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Companion

High School Teacher
In Indiana, it was at one time (maybe still is but I don't know) that if you were a long term sub you should get the pay for a full time teacher. If you taught straight through for a certain number of days/week, you got this pay increase. My district would give the sub the day off and hire a new sub to break this rule.

Tags
filing, unemployment