A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > High School

Old 09-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Companion

california
Literary Terms

How do you teach them? How do you assess whether the students have learned them all throughout the year. I usually teach them through and in conjunction with whatever literature I am teaching at the time. But I was thinking for the students to create a literary terms dictionary that they carry with them and keep handy throughout the year.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Aficionado

Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
exactly ... as we encounter them AND by creating a book. The book is created from 1 piece of paper. Instructions for the book are at: http://library.thinkquest.org/J00115...book/index.htm
Old 09-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Companion

california
That's excellent and very helpful. How many literary terms can fit in the mini book? 1 per page? Do they make several mini books throughout the year?
Old 09-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Aficionado

Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
I've done it a few ways. If student use notebook paper, it is 1 term per page (I think the book ends up with 4 front/back pages) and they make additional books. I usually have them include a definition, an example and an illustration. But, I have also had them use one of the large pieces of white construction paper (don't know the dimensions off the top of my head ... maybe something like 15"x30" and they put more than 1 on a page and make 1 book.

I like having them make the minibook because it counts for a problem solving activity all teachers are to do each quarter.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Companion

SF Bay Area
I would have students suggest some of their favorite songs....listen to them, and try to find any literary terms in the song. You can cover quite a few using hip hop if that's the type of music your students listen to. You would be surprised how many students struggle with the concept of metaphors, for example, but can be heard singing them under their breath.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Comrade

I teach them 'in isolation'

I have a section of their notes for "Elements of fiction" and we take the notes in the beginning of the year.

We also begin reading so I can make the connections - for example.
I started out covering character - types of characters, characterization - and conflict.

We read "The Interlopers" today, and I discussed conflict and characterization in reference to the story. I will have students come up with their own examples of each element to add to the bottom of the notes using whatever literature I used to demonstrate the element.

I know they understand them because I make them depend on the understanding to complete homework and essays and participate in class discussion. I don't usually test the elements directly, but I may pose a test question like - "How was Susie characterized?" We use the elements all year long - over and over.

In he last quarter, my students have to write a critical lens essay which tests their knowledge of these elements.

I don't call them 'terms', because it seems to diminish their importance and set them apart from the rest of what we do - like a disconnected vocabulary. I want them to see the elements as integral parts- 'what fiction is made of'

Poetric devices, on the other hand - I do most of those during the poetry unit, and we do a lot with both poetry and music to find them and understand them. I bring in music, they bring in music- it's like a big party Other than a few old standbys, students are never again held accountable for these 'terms', so I don't emphasize them beyond out unit.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Rookie

High School Teacher
I guess I do something similar to the books. I put the students in pairs and have them create a poster. Each term gets its own poster. They have to have the definition, example, and picture. I then have the pairs present the poster to the class. The students in the "audience" write the definitions down as we go. Then I hang the posters. We hit several literary terms for each short story/novel we do. I give them a test over them at the end of the semester, but by that time we've encountered each term many times.

I start all over again second semester with poetry devices.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Comrade

PA
High School Teacher
I have them make a "terms list" in the beginning of the Literature section of their binders. It is a running list, so by the end of the year they have a glossary, in their own words, all in one place. I use an anthology that is set up to cover several related terms per chapter. They are responsible for knowing not just the definitions of the terms, but how they are used in the stories we read. All terms we have covered are eligible for testing at any time. I think the most important thing to do is to use the words in class discussion regularly, so they get used to talking about literature in a "professional" or "collegiate" way. So, for example, we are currently reading a story where the main focus is setting, but we are also discussing characterization and other elements as we go. When I test I don't ask questions like "Which of these people was the main character?" but rather "Which statement is an example of flashback from story x?" So, they need to know the literary terms as well as the story.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Companion

Behind your shed stealing firewood
English 11, 12, Speech and Debate
I use online teaching software: Moodle

Students create a glossary of literary terms/elements.

I then create discussion forums requiring students to post comments about class novels and using literary devices. When the glossary wiki function is enabled, all the literary devices are linked. This reinforces the vocab, gives student ownership and allows me to evaluate student understanding.

I think the word is something like authentic?
Old 09-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Aficionado

Texas
HS English and Driver's Ed
ELA, what a FANTASTIC idea!

Tags
literary, terms