A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Behavior Management

Old 09-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Cohort

Pennsylvania
Latin Teacher
Advice for a chatty class

I could use some advice...my last period class is very chatty. Well-behaved otherwise, just chatty. I rearranged seats today...still a problem. I've tried counting, being silent, teacher stare, being in their vicinity, clapping, talking over them... I could use some tips to control it. I don't really want to give detentions or referrals for the chattiness (considering in the overall realm of things, it's not the worst thing), and its not just 1 student...it's a majority of the class. Any suggestions? Between what the students have said, borrowing their notes, and comments made by the former teacher, I think the last teacher gave up on them...and I mean GAVE UP. To the point of saying I should treat them as Latin Is and not IIs. Also, it seems he NEVER GAVE THEM HW. I don't want to give up on them, but I do need something else to help me control them. Like I said, otherwise they're a great class. I do have one student who I think is problematic...he's CONSTANTLY talking. To the point I thought he might have an IEP - nope. If I ask something, he responds aloud before other kids can even raise their hands. It almost seems like he says his mental commentary aloud - every thought kind of blurted, loudly, out to everyone. Any hints for how to deal with him? Thanks.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Connoisseur

CA.
1st Grade Teacher
You might talk privately to him and work out a goal with him to solve this problem. If he is in high school he may be aware it is a problem. Set up symbols to clue him into his actions from an outside perspective. Meet with him regularly and discuss improvements or the next step to work on. If he doesn't know it is a problem maybe it is time for him to be aware of the fact talking incessantly is a big problem in the work world.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Cohort

Pennsylvania
Latin Teacher
Thanks emonkey!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Cohort

I have had my share of chatty classes. Yes, I have! And I have come to the conclusion that a chatty class is not a well-behaved class. It is a rude class. And yes there are far worse things then talking too much. However, it is only the beginning of the school year and they will get worse. These kind of classes have always been difficult for me because it is hard to discipline students because so many of them are talking. Some things that have worked for me (and I have to say that every class is different so you have to see what works for you): giving them a quiz as soon as the bell rings. This gets them into the it is not time for talking mood because everyone knows you are not suppose to talk during a quiz, some sort of written work perhaps on the board when they come in (no talking allowed), timing the whole class and that is how much time they have to stay after (may not work with the last period of the day), a participation grade-off task talking-bad grade. Probably the best one for me is to have their homework sheets in my hand and say we can do this together as a class or you can do it for homework but I am not going to talk over you. They usually will hush each other after that statement!
Good luck!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Maven

Preschool Teacher
what about with preschoolers?

I have kids who talk non-stop, to anyone who will listen. many good kids will try to ignore them, but they keep on talking. I tell them to hush, and they insist on talking over me. I imagine they do this, and get away with it at home. I just stop talking, but they keep on repeating themselves.

I also have hummers and whistlers.

What do you do with them???
Old 09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Companion

California
3rd Grade Teacher
I am having this problem also.

I teach a reading remediation class with 25 4th graders who will just not stop talking. Transitions are a mess and I constantly have to stop and regain their attention. I have tried praise, giving rewards to students who are listening, making kids who are talking stay in at recess or pick up trash, giving and taking away team points, and on and on. I've given lectures.

Another teacher described the situation as the 'perfect storm' for behavior problems. There are ELs, resource kids, kids who have developed these behaviors so they won't have to try and fail and feel bad, and in my opinion there's just too many for a remediation program like this. Plus, the program itself, Language! is just as boring as sin.

*sighs* Okay, thanks for letting me rant. Any advice would be helpful.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Novice

Southeast USA
Catholic high school
It sounds like all the chatter is enough to be sufficiently distracting to you as the teacher, and perhaps other students. I think sending the message with detentions might set a precedent that this behavior won't be tolerated.

I work at a Catholic high school -- all girls, with a pretty formal environment, and detentions seem to be the stick that gets results.

You may want to give detentions and try and see if that sets an example of the behavior you expect. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Cohort

Pennsylvania
Latin Teacher
Well, my chatty class learned not to mess with me on Thursday. I was sick, and they came in and I told them today was not the day for the chatter. They still tried...and names went on the board. Eventually, some of them started saying, "hey, why's my name on the board?". My response, "If your name's on the board, you have been warned. Two marks next to it, and you have detention on Monday!" That quieted them down real fast!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Cohort

Pennsylvania
Latin Teacher
Oh, and on Monday I'm sure it'll be similar... I just marked the first quiz...very basic review. We practiced as our daily "to do", did hw on it, and played a review game... and yet my highest grade was a B, with many Fs, and some even writing "I'm sorry" or "I failed you" on the quiz. They knew this stuff within the first two months of Latin I last year...so it'll be daily quizzes. They'll hate it, but it'll be five minutes of peace for me, they'll know I mean business, and I don't feel that it's a "Reteach" issue because they're talking and not paying attention is what killed them, in my opinion.Plus, I have a new behavior plan I'm going to put into action next week. They'll learn real fast that my class is not social hour. I'm normally not so mean, but I've had it.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Companion

Middle School Teacher
Krysmorgsu could you share your new "mean" behavior plan, because I'm having some trouble with a couple of nonstop talkers as well, and I think it's time for me to get "mean" too! Nothing has worked with one of the talkers, and I mean nothing.

Thanks

Tags
advice, chatty, class