A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Fanatic

Somewhere in the good ole USA!
EWwww...Bugs in my dried pasta!! (a little long)

This was the reason that I decided to keep my pasta in the freezer; this had happened to me once before and I was so grossed out, I couldn't think straight.
One night I was watching the water start to boil, so I added the pasta....everything turned a cloudy white. Ewww...what is this, I thought. Then I saw what seemed to be little tiny larva boiling away!!!!!!!! Yucko; everything got tossed out. I determined that these were those yucky bugs that people talked about getting into their dried pasta which I had never experienced my whole life!!!

So now, when I purchase pasta, into the freezer it goes. Well; tonight, the water was boiling away and I dumped my spaghetti noodles; eeegads!! 3 full-grown bugs! yucko.

ok; help. Obviously, these bugs were already full-grown when I purchased the pasta. Ewww...

"They may not remember what you taught them, but they'll remember how you made them feel".

Sandra

Old 09-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Habitué

ATL
looking :(
yummy protein! lol

I would have been grossed out too. I will never get pre-cut fruit from the grocery store for that reason. I was eating my fruit bowl, and I see small larval bugs wiggling in the honey dew melon....YUCK!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Oh gross. I remember this happened when I cooked quinoa. I found half a maggot. I haven't eaten this grain since. BLEH! And double BLEH for the bugs already being in your bag!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Devotee

North Carolina
Special Education Teacher
yuck!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Quote:
Originally Posted by scienceteach82 View Post
yummy protein! lol

I would have been grossed out too. I will never get pre-cut fruit from the grocery store for that reason. I was eating my fruit bowl, and I see small larval bugs wiggling in the honey dew melon....YUCK!!!
Ewwwwwwwwwwww... bleh!!!! Well, I have a good reason to not eat bugs. I'm a vegan. But you all are meat eaters. Come on! Bugs have lots of protein.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Yuck! I am so glad I haven't experienced this, but know I get to imagine it
Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Companion

In my shell
Substitute Teacher
OMG, this happened to me the other night! EWWWWWWW!! And this was a new box I purchased that day, and left on the counter for that evening's meal. EW. EW. EW.

It makes me so mad that groceries are too darn expensive anyway, and then to have it go to waste because of spoiled food!

Now when I get home from the store I put my pasta in a ziplock baggie...if any of those critters are in there they can't get out and get me!

In the freezer, huh? I'll have to try that.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Guru

You can, of course, put the pasta in the freezer, but usually the critters are already long-dead by the time you buy the pasta/flour/cerea/etc. Because some bugs shed their skin several times, those are often left in the food as well. I don't know the numbers, but bug parts are allowable in food products, because it is, after all, natural.

But seriously, I think it is very gross as well. I don't like bugs.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Maven

U.S.A.
Retired Preschool Teacher
If your boxe of pasta was just bought, you should return it and write the company. They usually send you some free product coupons. Besides, they need to know about this.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
You can, of course, put the pasta in the freezer, but usually the critters are already long-dead by the time you buy the pasta/flour/cerea/etc. Because some bugs shed their skin several times, those are often left in the food as well. I don't know the numbers, but bug parts are allowable in food products, because it is, after all, natural.
I heard about this a long time ago, but chose to block it out of my memory. Thanks for the reminder.

Tags
dried, ewwwwbugs, long, pasta