A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 09-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Companion

A Tree
Labeling Your Classroom- Help!

I have never taught pre-k before, so I don't know what to expect. But I have a question regarding labeling student names in the classroom. In Kindergarten, I just used names on cubbies, seats, etc. But the aide in my new pre-k room wants to use colored shapes for everything. Like little Johnny would be the blue square so I would label his cubbie and chair and spot on the carpet and attendance pocket thing with a blue square. But that just seems like a LOT of work and coordination! Not just that, but I think it keeps them from just recognizing their name instead. Please tell me if my expectations are too high and if so, do you have any other ideas on how to label my room to make it easier for the kids to locate their stuff other than the shapes? Thanks!

Old 09-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Companion

PA
Preschool Teacher
I agree that the kids don't have to learn to recognize their name if everything is a color or a shape - I agree with the way you have done it so far. Now, on things like my choice time chart...I put stickers on their sticks so that they can manipulate the chart themselves w/o any assistance from me.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Companion

A Tree
What do you mean with the choice time chart?

Do you have their cubbies or seats labeled in any way? I think kids can remember those spaces quickly anyway.

What I need help with is if we have seats assigned on the carpet (which is another thing I don't know if I agree with yet), how would they find their spot quickly? She wanted me to tape shapes to the carpet. And coordinate those shapes across everything else.

Also, they each have pockets of their own that they put a stick in each morning as their attendance. She wanted the shapes on that too.

Could I do just their name? I was thinking photographs too.

BTW, this is pre-k

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Companion

Texas
Preschool Teacher
I think you should just use names on their cubbies and table tops. That's what I do. Most states want them to be able to recognize/write their name before they get to kindergarten. I think it's good for literacy as well; they realize that letters make words and sentences. It can also stimulate pre-reading. TJMO! Hope that helps.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Companion

A Tree
Thanks that does help, I totally agree!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Companion

PA
Preschool Teacher
I label cubbies (labels made on eichild.com) and their seat at the table with a desk tag.

The choice time chart is the way that I organize play time...

On the carpet, you could use carpet rectangles, felt squares, or tape Xs on the carpet.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Companion

Pennsylvania
Preschool Teacher
I teach 3s and I put their name and pic on most things at the beginning of the year - locker, attendance board, etc.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Groupie

New Hampshire
My class room name is Busy Bees and all my labels for attendance, jobs, coat hooks, cubbies and back pack hooks are all bees withjust the child's name on them. Table tops and lunch box shelf are labeled with yellow name plates with theri names on them. i don't label my circle area with specific places for them to sit. they sit on circle cushions and my rules for sitting at circle are cushions on the floor and bottoms on the cushions. The only thing that i have different is my playtime poster and for that each child has a colored circle with his/her name on it and when they go to play in an area they take their name tag and put it on the center label and they know that when there are no more velcro spots on a center sign they need to choose a different area to play in. Those circles are matched up with the same color circle on the poster.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Companion

Texas
Preschool Teacher
I also label all my toy shelves and bins with picture of that toy and the name of the toy. It helps with pre-reading and it keeps my room organized. The kids like the labels too, they are so lost without them. I haven't had time to finish labeling all my shelves and they are just at a loss as to where things go. I really need to get on that.

The shelf labeling is a requirement for the program that I teach. I like labeling cubbies and table tops with names because I don't like kids to share cubbies (gross) and I like to be able to seperate my friends who don't get along or are talkers.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Comrade

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
I teach 3s also. I print their names on name tags, attendence check-in cards (calendar die-cuts), on the "word wall", on the bulletin boards, leader cards, and circle time cards. Some can read their names right away, most others can recognize their names within a couple of months.

Tags
classroom, labeling