A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 08-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Novice

Special Education Teacher
Transition Between Classes/Subjects

Hello,

I need your ideas or advice on this. This is my first time having my own classroom, and I do not know exactly how to make a transition between classes/subjects for students easy and smooth.

I assigned a colour for each subject, so each student will have folders and notes which are coordinated with a subject colour. I am also planning to go through how to organize a desk drawer and to put a poster which shows how to organize it on the wall as a reminder.

I am worried that even after these things implemented, students may take a long time to find folders and notes and waste some instruction time.

Can somebody give me some ideas or advice on this? My first day is the 2nd, and I know the importance of establishing routines and structures. Please help!

LonGuy

Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Comrade

California
Mod/Severe Teacher
The first few attempts at anything new with our students takes more time then we anticipated. I always tell my student teachers to plan for more then they think they can get done in a period and expect that you'll only get to half but it's better to have more ready then to not be ready.

As for your routine, good job with the color coding. The first few times will take twice as long as you'd like since you will be walking them through it.

Once you notice that a few students are starting to get it. Make it into a game/challenge. Set a timer, for each of those students or table groups, that is ready before the timer, they get a point toward a reward (popcorn party, no homework on Monday, an extra pick from the daily prize box, a pick from the big prize box, etc) you determine how many points to till the reward is given, depending on your students level (mild = 4 points), (moderate = 2 to three points) or if individual those with X number of points at the end of the week get the reward. Once the majority of the students are within your time, you can either make the time shorter, only set the timer a few times a day/week, eliminate the challenge, etc. It all depends on how it's working for you. For those students who never made it to the challenge, those are the ones that need it structured up more or differently. Don't forget to work with them as not every structure/process works for everyone.

I have one student who has all his notebooks and work in his desk nothing is located around the room, like the other students, because it takes him 10 minutes to get his items and get back to his seat. So we made the desk next to his empty so that his items can be in there also.

My 1st day is the 2nd also, good luck. Let me know if this needs further explanation or any other guidance.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Novice

Special Education Teacher
Hello Teach96,

Thank you for sharing your ideas. I did not think of using a timer for a transition. That is a great idea. I am not expecting students to be super quick from Day 1 at all, and realize that it will take a time. However, I am getting a lot of pressure from other teachers. (Some subjects are taught by other teachers, and they have asked me to make a transition as smooth and quick as possible.) As I said, I like the idea and hope it works. If not, I will try to change things and see what happens. (Being flexible is a key, right?) Thank you once again for your help.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Comrade

California
Mod/Severe Teacher
In the case of needing the students to move to another classroom, I would start the transition early and fade back to a normal time as you can. Good luck!

Tags
classes or subjects, transition