A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > New Teachers

Old 08-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Novice

New York
High School English Teacher
First Day Student Surveys

Have you handed out a survey for your students to fill out about themselves? If so, what questions have you put on there. I am thinking about having them do this for the first day of school.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Habitué

Texas
txprofecomosewhat.blogspot.com
I did one to get a feel for how they feel about Spanish and how well they've done in Spanish in the background. It also asks them how they do in English classes and a few other questions.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
What they think their strength is.
What they think their weakness is.
What is their biggest fear/concern for the upcoming year.

I like to ask my kids who they live with. In case I have to call home and Susie Smith's mom's name is Mrs. Jones and not Mrs. Smith!
Old 08-31-2008, 06:27 AM
Devotee

North Carolina
Special Education Teacher
Tell me something about yourself that I wouldn't know just by looking at you. (you can get some funny answers here!)

What is their favorite book/author/color/sport/activity/food.

What do they like/dislike about school.

Who are their friends/what grade.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Aficionado

Upper Elementary Teacher
First Name: ___________________________
Last Name: _______________________________________

Nickname: _____________________________________

Your Birthday: __________________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~
~ CONTACT INFO~
Homeroom: _________________________

Your Advisor: _________________________________

Email address (yours or a parent’s/guardian’s): _____________________________________

~ ALL ABOUT YOU ~

How long have you been attending this school? ______________________________________________

What do you do in your spare time? (hobbies, clubs, sports, video games, volunteer, study, etc.) __________________________________________________ ___________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

What kind of books do you enjoy reading? Do you have any favorite authors? __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

What kind of goal(s) have you set up for yourself this school year at *school name*? __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

What is your favorite sport? Who is your favorite team? ____________________________
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

What is your favorite movie? __________________________________________________ __________

What type of music do you enjoy and who is your favorite artist? _________________
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

What is your favorite TV show/ Internet show? ______________________________________
~ Our Classroom, Our Community ~

What is your favorite subject in school? _______________________________________________

If Science is not #1, where does it rank? _______________________________________________

What did you enjoy about Science class last year? ___________________________________
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Name 3 students in this class that you feel you would like to work with.

______________________________, _______________________________, _______________________________,

What can I do to help you understand the material?
(1= least favorite 5= favorite)

Videos 1 2 3 4 5
Lecture/Discussion 1 2 3 4 5
Labs 1 2 3 4 5
Projects/Portfolios 1 2 3 4 5
Group Work 1 2 3 4 5

Are there any medical conditions or special accommodations that I need to make for you to be successful in this class? (i.e. wear glasses and need to sit in the front) __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

This is a copy of what I'll be giving my students
Old 09-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Novice

Texas
High School Teacher
I also gave out a survey similar to BioAngel's though not that comprehensive. Mine asked about their summer, what they did, hobbies, and also their home life and what that was like. I also asked them what grade they expected to get in my class and how they were going to achieve that grade. They seem to like stuff like that, plus it gives them something to do right when they walk in the door so you can then set the tone for the year; you walk in, you have a job to do right away and it's not social hour here, buddy.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Cohort

some where out there
Special Education Teacher
Oh that is good. I got a survey for my son the first day and it was geared toward highschool that is what the teacher taught before

problem is she is now teaching a mod-severe kindergarten/ first grade class. my son is 6

I used the prompts to write a all about letter to my son's teacher to give her background
Old 09-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Cohort

Pennsylvania
Latin Teacher
I have to admit, I basically used the survey from "Fires in the Bathroom" and modified it to my needs. Next year, I don't think I'll make it quite so long (2 pages). I did find out a lot, though, and I also told students if they don't feel comfortable answering a question of they feel it's none of my business, they could skip the question. I figure I'll staple it to their individual assignment folders, and copy some pertinent info over onto index cards I have, so that I have it at home if needed.

Tags
day, student, surveys