A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Rookie

North Carolina
Kindergarten Teacher
Brain Breaks/Energizers

Hi everyone,

I have a very active group (who doesn't, lol) and am looking for some fun brain breaks or energizers. I have taught for seven years but this is my first year in kindergarten so a lot of the strategies I've used in the past are not age appropriate. Over the last few days, I've used several songs to get the kids up and moving but I was hoping that you all had other good ideas or new songs to share.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Habitué

WV
Kindergarten Teacher
Yes! I know what you mean...my poor children are ready to go home after lunch. The afternoons are sooooo long! We've been singing head, shoulders, knees and toes...get in a circle and pass a ball -have the children say their name, hot potato, tooty ta (Dr. Jean), going on a bear hunt... My brain is fried now...if I think of more I'll let you know.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Companion

Oklahoma
1st Grade Teacher
Frog Street Press has a new cd from Marty Shelby ( I think ). The CD is called "Don't Eat Cactus Cookies". Anyway he has a great song called 'Brain Break'. We love it.

Last edited by repete8; 08-28-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: add name of cd
Old 08-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Companion

Maine
Kindergarten Teacher
http://esl.about.com/od/englishlesso...a/braingym.htm

Here is some info on Brain Gym (www.braingym.com). I believe there are some videos on youtube- though I haven't viewed them yet.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Companion

Texas
6th Grade Teacher
Well when I see my kids getting restless in circle time, I put on "fun songs"
Five Little Monkeys
Mother Gooneybird
Tarzan

Silly songs they like and let them be silly for about 2 minutes, they love it
Hope this helps
Old 09-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Rookie

new jersey
Kindergarten Teacher
while dr. jeans tooty ta is fun.....a cd called hip hop alphabob 2 buts some up beat rap type beats and harmonies to some old favorites! sometimes i simply have the kids stand up and wiggle, jigggle, and yes even squiggle there energy out each body part at a time. i start from the head down to feet one day, then feet on up, sometimes from the stomach down, then stomach up....when done have them do some breathing exercises....
ie a leaky balloon, a falling leaf breathing in thru the nose out thru the mouth

sometimes i start talking at a real low whisper to get the kids to stop and correct themselves so they can hear.

ever try having the kids make up their own dance to do when they are tooo energized?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Rookie

North Carolina
Kindergarten Teacher
Thank you for all of the great ideas!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Novice

florida
Kindergarten Teacher
I do some of the above songs, we sometimes dance to a "freeze dance" song. If you don't have that song you can play some music and pause the music and they freeze when it stops. I also do a wiggle song. Start at head "My _____ is starting to wiggle, My ______ is starting to wiggle, My ______ is starting to wiggle, around, around, around. I put in each body part and we move it as we sing about it. Work down the body and then do the whole body at the end. They LOVE to wiggle their whole body.

Tags
brain, breaks or energizers