A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 08-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Companion

The Wild Wild West
5th Grade Teacher
Exclamation K/1 combo help!

Hi all! I could use some advice, tips, input. You name it, I need it. My class will become a k/1 combo starting Tuesday. We are currently in our 3rd week of school and my students are finally getting the swing of things. I'm bummed, but it's for the best.

Anyway, I could really use help from anyone that may have done a k/1 combo before. All my teaching is with 3rd and 1st. I've subbed with K back in the day, but other then that.... Nada

Thanks!!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Rookie

Arizona
1st Grade Teacher
Blame your team teachers for letting you take the fall. J/K
Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Companion

The Wild Wild West
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamTeach View Post
Blame your team teachers for letting you take the fall. J/K

It's really only this one teacher's fault! She's in room 308, not that you'd know who that is....... I really should blame it on her huh? I think she went out hunting down extra kinders from around the neighborhood and told the principal the give them to first instead of k.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Rookie

Arizona
1st Grade Teacher
Little miss 308 sounds like a piece of work. That sounds like something she would do. I bet from the beginning of the year she was telling the principal that you don't have enough to do and doing a K/1 combo would be just the ticket to keep you even busier.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugRats View Post
Hi all! I could use some advice, tips, input. You name it, I need it. My class will become a k/1 combo starting Tuesday. We are currently in our 3rd week of school and my students are finally getting the swing of things. I'm bummed, but it's for the best.

Anyway, I could really use help from anyone that may have done a k/1 combo before. All my teaching is with 3rd and 1st. I've subbed with K back in the day, but other then that.... Nada

Thanks!!!!
Hi, I am also starting a k/1 combo on Tuesday and I work for mesa school district. What school do you work for? I was thinking of using the first grade curriculum most of the time. The the kinder kids will get reading interventions (dibels) in their grade level. I just feel i have to teach with the 1st grade curriculum so the 1st graders don't get behind.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Companion

Arizona
Special Education Teacher
Look at science and social studies standards to integrate those into whole group lessons and activities. My first year of multiage (K-2) I concentrated on 2nd gr as they were moving on after one year and I kept the K-1 as they moved up. Math...look for common standards. I taught math with whole group mini-lessons and guided groups (like reading.) Writing...mini lessons and writer's workshop. Reading...big book, mini-lessons, and small groups with centers. PM me if you would like more information.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Comrade

On an island
K-1 Multiage Teacher
Hello!

I am joining the multiage K-1 class revolution. I took over a class that had a new teacher quit Friday. I have been in the class since Weds.

My only other experience was teaching 1-2-3 in a self-contained EH classroom in 2006-7.

Two of my children go to the school where the teacher quit, but I did not know the routines of the classroom.

I really need HELP! Right now the principal is handling alot of the work, but now Monday, she needs to get back to her job and I need to take off and do my thing with my 16 K-1'ers.

The teacher that left did no assessments, no observations, no antedotal notes. I came in blind - and the walls are blank, empty. I have no lesson plans. Last years lesson plans are available for my use so that I know what the 1st graders have already been exposed to, so to choose something else! Yikes!

For the past two days, we have figured out reading groups and math groupings. My intentions are to whole group the topic using mostly 1st grade instruction, and then break out into small groups for instruction in both math and reading tailored to the skill levels.

I really need help with independent work in small groups, while I am working with one group. The kids seem so needy that I cannot concentrate on the group I have, because the others are out of their seats, finished their work early, or need help. What should my plan be?

What is the best way to let students rotate through centers? I have 16 children. How do I post where the children go? Color code? Change names, change center?

We have science 2 days a week and social studies 2 days a week and my hours are 8:30 to 3:00 full time for both K & 1st.

I am up for the challenge! How much can I do this weekend so that I can fake it to make it through the week!
Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Habitué

2/3 Split
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechangingtabl View Post
Hello!

I am joining the multiage K-1 class revolution. I took over a class that had a new teacher quit Friday. I have been in the class since Weds.

My only other experience was teaching 1-2-3 in a self-contained EH classroom in 2006-7.

Two of my children go to the school where the teacher quit, but I did not know the routines of the classroom.

I really need HELP! Right now the principal is handling alot of the work, but now Monday, she needs to get back to her job and I need to take off and do my thing with my 16 K-1'ers.

The teacher that left did no assessments, no observations, no antedotal notes. I came in blind - and the walls are blank, empty. I have no lesson plans. Last years lesson plans are available for my use so that I know what the 1st graders have already been exposed to, so to choose something else! Yikes!

For the past two days, we have figured out reading groups and math groupings. My intentions are to whole group the topic using mostly 1st grade instruction, and then break out into small groups for instruction in both math and reading tailored to the skill levels.

I really need help with independent work in small groups, while I am working with one group. The kids seem so needy that I cannot concentrate on the group I have, because the others are out of their seats, finished their work early, or need help. What should my plan be?

What is the best way to let students rotate through centers? I have 16 children. How do I post where the children go? Color code? Change names, change center?

We have science 2 days a week and social studies 2 days a week and my hours are 8:30 to 3:00 full time for both K & 1st.

I am up for the challenge! How much can I do this weekend so that I can fake it to make it through the week!
Tell us a little about your classroom- are the students coming in and out or are you completely self contained? What groupings of students do you have (grade/ability)? What does your day look like (do you have to have specific subjects at specific times)? How independently can your students function? Do you have an aide?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Comrade

On an island
K-1 Multiage Teacher
Hi, thanks for answering!

The students leave for specials at various times of the day each week (Spanish, Health, PE, Art, Music) and they also leave the classroom for lunch (usually eaten outside at the pavillion).

I have 9 - 1st graders and 7 - Kinders. Reading groups divided into 4 groups and math groups divided into 3 or 4 (I forget). I have two K's not reading letters and 1st grader who is in his 3rd year in the class, having repeated K. The others are performing on grade level from what I have observed in the three days I have been there.

My schedule is:

8:30-8:45 morning meeting
8:45-9:30 specials
9:30-9:45 snack
9:45-11 reading
11 - 11:45 writing
11:45 - 12:25 Lunch
12:25 - 12:45 Recess
12:45 - 1 Quiet Time/Cool Down
1 - 2 Math
2 - 2:30 Science/SS
2:30 - 3 Ready for Dismissal, read-aloud

This is not exact, I am doing it from memory, but it is close.

I do have two great aides (at different times, not together) during reading and math, as well as good parental volunteer support. I have always had a mom in my class the past three days. Several because of the teacher leaving last week, they are all concerned about their children not having a teacher.

I have 4 out of 16 that can work independently (all 1st graders) with little instruction after modeling once. On the other hand, I have 3 or 4 that need lots of one on one to get through an activity. The majority of the others can get started after I model my expectations, but it just depends on the activity. Of course, again, i have only been in the class 3 days, but I tried to get in as much observations and notes as possible!

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Comrade

On an island
K-1 Multiage Teacher
I forgot to mention that I am free to use whatever materials I need to, there is no dedicated reading or math programs (this is a charter school). The previous teacher (last year) used EVERYDAY MATH 1st Grade and Reading A to Z readers. So that is what I have to work with. I think I saw Lucy Calkins writing?? program too. There are no textbooks or workbooks at this school. They practice the Multiple Intelligences model, using hands on as much as possible.

The whole school follows a Year One and Year Two theme since all of the classes are multiage (K-1, 2/3 and 4/5) to keep the material fresh and non-repetitive each year. So we all have themes and just differentiate to our grade levels/abilities.

Tags
combo, k or 1