A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Comrade

Nebraska
Watermelon Idea vs. Seed Idea

How would you describe the idea of a "watermelon idea" verses a "seed idea" to second graders? I really want to teach them the difference this year!! I was looking for a graphic to help them see the difference! Thanks

Old 08-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Habitué

2/3 Split
Watermelon Idea- What I did over the summer or a vacation over the summer

Seed Idea- a specific thing that happened on vacation
Old 08-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Novice

3rd Grade Teacher
I've never talked about watermelon vs seed with my 3rd graders. At the beginning of the year I do a quick initial assessment writing task surrounding summer vacation. Do you think it makes sense to do a watermelon lesson (showing different ways to look at the watermelon...whole vs the tiny parts) and then have students write a 'watermelon idea' of their summer....and then a few days later write a 'seed idea'? Not sure if i'm on the right track! Then throughout the year, we could revisit/revise...
Old 08-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Comrade

Nebraska
yes

We are focusing on small moments and I would like them to know the difference!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
If your whole school does Lucy Calkins, they should know what a small moment is.

I always ask if they can find a seed in their story. Sometimes I have to point out the "seed".

Honestly, it is hard for the littler ones unless you have an example. Write a demo watermelon story and pick a few seeds out and write seed stories, too.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Comrade

California
6th Grade Language Arts
I always use the example of going to Disneyland since it's something almost all of my students have experienced. I start talking about how I woke up, what I picked out to wear, ate for breakfast, packed a lunch, got in the car, how many stop lights we got, then we get to the parking lot & there were a lot of cars, so we had to wait, then we paid for our parking ticket, etc. I use lots of details so it goes on forever (it seems), but at this point I stop and say "I've got a really long story already and I haven't even gotten into Disneyland!" Then I give them an example about going on Space Mountain using details. They usually get the picture after this.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Comrade

PA
2nd Grade Teacher
HA i made a t shirt on vista print with the watermelon pic top wear during our small moment lessons lol. I do a T chart with pics at the top of the 2 columns...one whole watermelon, one tiny seed and we write story ideas underneath to go with them for example:
Watermelon- my night on the Haunted hayride
Seed- when the ghost popped out from the shed while on the hayride

Watermelon- my disney trip
Seed- Going on space mountain

Watermelon- My playdate with Billy
Seed- Billy and I making popcorn
Old 08-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Rookie

California
2nd Grade Teacher
If you can, make it concrete. I did this using paper cut-outs, but I really wanted to do it with a real watermelon. Talk about big watermelons ideas and show them the watermelon (ie. "going to disneyland"). Cut the watermelon down to a piece of watermelon ("going to disneyland and we did a bunch of things"), then pick out a little seed "feeling scared about going on Space Mountain). Even though I only used the paper cuts, my 2nd graders caught on pretty well. Then we did some practice where I said some watermelon/seed ideas and we identified them kinesthetically (BIG arms for watermelons, little fingers for seeds. Hope that helps!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Connoisseur

New York
Reading Teacher
JustFine, I have a graphic organizer to go along with "seed ideas" vs. "watermelon topics". If you would like it you can PM me.

I personally love teaching this in writing workshop!!! I actually draw a huge watermelon cut in half with seeds in it. Then I write the big topic next to the watermelon ("Going to grandma's). Then I draw lines from each seed to show the "seed ideas" or small moments from that day.
~Me & grandma made cookies
~ We stayed up all night watching movies
~ Grandma braided my hair
~ We got lost on the way to grandma's

You will be suprised but this visual really helps those struggling writers write small moments better. If a student ends up writing a "bed-to-bed" story, I confer with them and I coach them into deciding the most important event, or the seed story, from their piece and we circle it. Then I encourage the writer to now write a small moment story about that tiny seed idea. It works everytime!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Newcomer

America
Kindergarten Teacher
YOUNGTEACHER 226

I would looove a copy of your watermelon/seed graphic organizer! Please email me at [email]EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead[/email] Thanks so much!

Tags
idea, seed, watermelon