A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 08-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Habitué

Ways to Introduce Reading Vocab. Words

I am bored with how I intro. reading vocabulary words. Usually we write the word, draw a picture, write the definition, and sometimes write it in a sentence. Other times I have students fill out a chart with sections like : I know the word, have used the word, have heard the word, do not know the word, and then we look it up and discuss it.

What are other, more creative OR more relevant ways to introduce new vocabulary words?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Comrade

4th Grade Teacher
I'm looking for some ways too. One of my professional goals this year is to have a word-wise classroom. I don't have any ideas yet but I'm going to be doing some where I don't introduce the words first and force my students to use context clues in the reading.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Companion

Massachusetts
4th Grade Teacher
My reading program comes with a transparency that uses all of the words in a sentence. Sometimes I play the "Vocab Game" with my kiddies. We all gather around the overhead. One student reads the sentence aloud. Then another student identifies the new vocab word (it's underlined). Then a third student tries to guess what the word means. Sometimes it takes a couple tries before they get it right, but we brainstorm how using context clues help us figure the meaning to the new word.

Now the game part. Students return to their seats and I have flashcards of all the new vocab terms. I hold up a card, and it's a race to see who can raise their hand first and CORRECTLY define the word. If the definition is correct, I hand the student the vocab card. Once I have gone through all the words and all the cards are passed out, the students with a card go to the back of the room. They have 10 seconds to arrange themselves in alphabetical order. So while they are scrambling around trying to arrange themselves correctly, the rest of the class watches and we count down from ten to one.

It is quite fun. They really seem to enjoy it.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Cohort

1st Grade Teacher
That does sound like fun!
I wonder if my 2nd graders could handle it?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Companion

Massachusetts
4th Grade Teacher
Oh absolutely! The ABC order race at the end is always the best part. My 4th graders get pretty competitive!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Comrade

Washington
Primary Elementary Teacher
Here's an idea I plan to try with my 2nd graders. It's kind of the opposite to the first part of the game MissBee offered.

After doing all the normal vocab practice we will play a game as a culminating/check for understanding. It's the class against me!

I will read definitions per my TG which do not match word for word with the dictionaries we use so they will really need to think about meanings. Students have a set of the vocab word cards. I will read a definition. Give a few seconds for students to find the matching word and count to 3. On 3 they all hold up the word card they think matches. If most of the class is correct the class will get a point. I will get a point otherwise.

I've thought about having them do this in pairs at the beginning of the year and switch to MissBee's idea later in the year.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Comrade

I have the kids come up with motions for their vocab words. I assign one word for each group and they have about 3-5 minutes to come up with a motion. For example, one of our words last week was tropical and the kids pretended to do the hula... Hula reminds them of Hawaii, which is tropical. I call on each group to share and then the whole class does it. We use the motions to review the words throughout the week.

Tags
introduce, reading, vocab, ways, words