A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Newcomer

MASSACHUSETTS
Kindergarten Teacher
Organizing crayons & Pencils

Hi All,
Does anyone have any good ideas for organizing crayons and pencils for table use? I have used plastic buckets, cereal containers etc. I like to have one for each of my 5 tables so there easy for the children to get during table/group activities. By November crayons are broken, paper torn off etc. It drives me crazy. I would love any container ideas.

Thanks

Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Novice

Oregon
Kindergarten Teacher
I just use the colorful divideable plastic buckets from Lakeshore. One at each table. I put crayons, scissors, and pencils in each of the tubs. I have never really had a problem. On the first day of school, I talk with kids about taking care of crayons and model how to use them appropriately. I then let the kids "practice" using the crayons by coloring a simple page. I think some crayons getting broken is inevitable. I do change them after winter break. If kids are noticing a lot of broken crayons....you could review how to treat them or you could even say "awww...that is sad that crayon is broken....I guess kids at your table group will have to try treating them more carefully."
Old 08-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Maven

U.S.A.
Preschool Teacher
I keep all supplies on an art shelf.The crayons are in large boxes with dividers in them. They must share these with friends. They get them as needed. These are for "anytime use." However, each one has their own plastic supply box with a lid. They each have basic crayons, pencils, glue, and scissors. I keep markers with the "free art" supplies because I don't like them using them for their worksheets, etc. I find crayons are better for strengthening their small motor skills and they are not so likely to color something so dark that I can't even see what it is!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Devotee

New York
I do not do community supplies, all of my kids have their own individual crayons, markers, glue, glue sticks, and scissors. I keep crayons and markers in e-z ziploc bags with the child's name on it, and put all of the bags in a bin for the table. I keep glue, glue sticks, and scissors in a 3 compartment plastic bin. Both bins for each table are stored in a cabinet, and when we need them I have 3 "supply managers" who go to get the bins and bring them to the table. Then the children find the supplies with their own names on them. I have done this for 2 years and I love it. I also find that the kids take good care of their things when they realize that if a red crayon is broken, they are going to be dealing with that red crayon- nobody else is. (Of course, if it is an accident and they need a new crayon I let them dig one out of my bin and switch, but for those chronic crayon breakers, this tends to break the habit quickly.)

When I do need community supplies, I use my own bins of crayons, which are taken from children who needed new boxes- I put the old ones in the community bins, so that community crayons are always 'used,' but I can get rid of ones that are completely broken and gross! I do the same thing for markers, and I get glue, glue sticks, and scissors super cheap at the back to school sales for the year. Some community supplies are kept in our art and writing centers, for the children to use all the time. Some I keep in a cabinet for when I need them for a specific teacher-directed center and do not want to deal with all of the kids taking out their own individual things.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
I'm going to have community pencils, but everything else (scissors, markers, glue sticks, and crayons) are going to be in individual art boxes. I'm having community pencils because I don't like the children using class time to sharpen pencils. This way I can keep track of that. I like individual boxes, because I think they should be responsible for their own belongings. They have to bring in 2 boxes of crayons and markers in the beginning of the year, so if something gets used up, I can just replace individual items. I also like the individual boxes just in case we have to do something outside of class that requires those supplies.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Novice

Florida
Kindergarten Teacher
I also do not use community items. My students each have a cup in front of them that contains crayons and pencils. Request that the parent bring crayons in every three months and change them out. (or as needed).

Tags
crayons, organizing, pencils