A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 08-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Cohort

Online English Teacher
Time capsule activity

I saw somewhere on here about a time capsule activity. If you've done this activity before, please share some ideas on what you have the kids write about or do (drawing?).

I love this idea! (I'll be teaching 3rd grade)

Old 08-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Phenom

Did it this a.m.

Measured the children with twine and then they measured the twine using two yard sticks I had taped together on the floor. I had a form which said, "I am __________ tall today, August 18, 2008."

Drew and cut out their hand print.

Wrote what they wanted to learn this year. (We discussed it too.)

Drew a self-portrait.

Made predictions about each other.

Decorated the outside of the tube with construction paper.

Geez... that's about all we had time to do.

You might want to do a search for more stuff.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Companion

I'm going to try it with my students this year, too. I think I'm going to have them write a letter to their end-of-the-year selves about their hopes and wishes for 3rd grade. They're also going to fill out a little questionnaire on their favorites that we'll stick in there so they can read that at the end of the year, too, and see how they have or haven't changed.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Cohort

Online English Teacher
Thank you for your ideas!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Companion

New Jersey
2nd Grade Teacher
I really like the idea of a time capsule. Where do you usually keep them during the year?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Cohort

Online English Teacher
I was thinking instead of using a paper towel tube, you can just use some construction paper and roll that so you can put the other work inside!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Companion

I'm just using brown envelopes and letting them decorate the outside. It's not as cute as the paper towel tubes but I think it'll take up less space (plus I'm not sure I'd be able to find enough tubes by the first week of school!).
Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Maven

Florida
Fifth Grade QUEST (Gifted) Teacher
I do a survey and a self-portrait where they write character traits around the illustration. It's hilarious seeing who didn't write much right now. They change so much by the end of fourth grade!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Groupie

I have my kids write what they are feeling the moment they enter the classroom. I tell them to share their fears and anxieties, as well as their hopes and expectations for the year. Then the kids fold their papers into little squares and write on the outside their initials and DONT READ if they want theirs to be personal at the end of the year or READ if they want me to share it with the class at the end of the year. I then place everything in an empty Lysol or Clorox Wipes Plastic Container and write "DO NOT OPEN TIL JUNE 2009" on the outside. When they take them out at the end of the year, they smell sooo good! I give the papers that say DONT READ on them, and then I read the others aloud and have the class guess who the author was. Then I have them write a letter to next year's class remembering that they are going to be as nervous and excited as these kids were on the first day this year...This was a lot of fun last year!

This year I plan to use the twine idea mentioned above, have them trace their hands, have them write a BIO Poem (at the end of the year, I'll have them write another and compare the two),
do the letter about how they're feeling when they first come in the classroom, and have them fill out a questionnaire about themselves (how many teeth have you lost so far? how old are you? what is your favorite thing right now? who is your favorite person right now? what is something you are looking forward to right now? etc.)...

Thanks for all the ideas, guys!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Cohort

Michigan
A list of their favorites. I had it typed out and they filled in. A sample of handwriting. They wrote all the letters caps and lower. Trace their hand. Weight, height, how many teeth they had lost.
I put in manilla envelopes and showed them how to sign across the sealed part to be able to tell if someone opened them. Opened on last day.

Tags
activity, capsule, time