A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Fifth Grade

Old 08-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Rookie

Nebraska
5th Grade Teacher
Team Building

Any good ideas for team building activities?

Old 08-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Novice

VT
Primary Elementary Teacher
"The First Six Weeks of School" and "The Meeting Book" have some great ideas for games and activities that foster community.

I'm thinking of cutting out a word, cutting it into puzzle pieces, having the kids each decorate a piece and then putting it back together.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Comrade

Maryland
5th Grade Teacher
I was just going to post this question! I'm glad I looked here first. I hope you don't mind that I'll be stalking your thread The only team building activity I can remember is the one where you have the kids form a circle and then they need to hold hands with anyone except the people next to them. This will form a huge knot, and the kids have to get out of the knot without releasing hands.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Comrade

East Coast
Developmental English
My hubby and I did something cool recently at a marriage retreat that I am planning to use the first day. We took a ball of thread and the first person told their name, etc. then held part of the string and tossed the ball to another person who had not spoken. This went on and on until all couples had spoken. Then we talked about how we create connections and relationships with one another and that we are all connected. We were there to build up our current relationships and create new connections. I would adjust a little to relate to fifth grade teams and activities, but this is how it worked for the retreat!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Aficionado

Upper Elementary Teacher
Hop into a car (ONE car if you all can fit), go out for coffee, sit and relax I'm lucky that I have all Ladies on my team--- so we're enjoying getting to know each other and just chit chatting about our lives.

Tomorrow, we're doing a retreat in the middle school and every grade is going to get together and discuss a book that we all read over the summer.

Just do any kind of activity that brings you together, is enjoyable for everybody, and lets you have some time to get to know better.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Novice

texas
Team Building Activity!!!

I have a great activity that I love to use with this age group! You can modify it to any level. This is a great way to evaluate who your leaders are and how well your group can work in a team. The only supplies you need are newspapers and masking tape. Directions:
1. Divide your students into groups of 4-5
2. Give them each a couple of stacks of newspapers and a roll of masking tape.
3. I tell them a story and it is about a massive flood that is on its way (I elaborate and link it to science and global warming and ice melting I have them close their eyes).
4. I tell them that they are going to have to build a boat that will fit all 4-5 members inside and these are the only supplies that are available.
5. I give them 3 minutes to talk and discuss their plan (you can give them 5 if you think that is not long enough but I like 3 it really challenges them). I use a timer.
6. After the timer goes off they are not allowed to talk at all!!! They are to build their boat in complete silence for 5 minutes (again, you can extend the time if you need too by a couple of minutes).
7. It is really hard for them to do this without talking but a great way to work on team building and communication skills!
8. I have them come up to the board as a team and discuss the plan and activity.

They really love this activity!
p.s.

I have used this in social studies class too and modified it to building a national monument instead of a boat for upper level grades.

Tags
building, team